Knots of muscles

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello everyone sorry to be a pain , since I tried to reduce pred on the dsns way I have never been pain free or nearly as comfortable as I was before I tried to reduce but for the last 3 days I have had a knot of muscle in my shoulder just below the neck , I have tried everything I can think of to ease the pain an discomfort from it it is even going up my neck down in armpit I have tried hot w bottle heat pad voltarol cream pain killers co co damol gabapentin don't no wot else I can do . I have gone back up to 10 mg where I was at before I tried to reduce has anyone any advice as how I can get the knot away thank you in advance

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello Paula, I have the same problem, but the physiotherapist taught me an exercise to help with the same thing.

Lay on the floor or bed bend knees up at hip width apart.

pull your tummy in and take both arms up into the air and as far back over your head as possible 5 times one arm then the other.

then take the arms out to the side 5 times, try this a couple of times a day. Eventually you get a relaxation of the muscles and they untwist. Hope it works for you. 

• Posted

Thank you Adette I will.give it a try and get back to you to let you know how I got on
    • Posted

Hi Paula, how are you doing with the exercises, just thought I would check in with you, been on nights so only just checked the Info site.

I hope you're ok.

• Posted

I did a couple of them to day on the floor must say it was bit uncomfortable lol but it's not too bad now plus I keep rubbing the voltarol cream on thank you for asking

• Posted

I have exactly the same symptoms so was really interested in what you have to say. Eileen has mentioned bursitis and other problems which may need a different therapy. She’s mentioned the Bowen form of massage which she has found helpful. In the meantime I’ll be trying the exercises. Anything to break the pattern of pain which all the normal things just don’t help! Thanks for bringing this up 
    • Posted

The pain free opp m the knots are awful so uncomfortable you just don't know what to do with your self to get relief . I am going to try the exercise that Adette mentioned see how I get on with it . I remember now Eileen once mentioned the Bowen massage unfortunately it's n o t on the NHS so as much as I would love to go for it I can't afford to. So I will try with the exercise Adette mentioned . Thank you for reply Celia hope the exercise works for us

• Posted

Good massage would help... Alternative is to use tennis ball, lay down on the floor and put the ball in the area where the knot is. Try to roll back and forth, or side to side to put pressure in the area where the knot is.  See if it helps.
    • Posted

Thank you Nick I will give it a go with the tennis ball, as I will try Adettes exercises , I will try anything to help make it go away
  • Posted

Sounds like the typical trigger point formed in myofascial pain syndrome. Mine are worked on by a physiotherapist who uses manual mobilisation as part of therapeutic massage. You may be able to get a physio appoinment fairly soon (hope springs eternal) but I have also has injections of steroid or muscle relaxant into the area near the knot. Oral steroids or muscle relaxants don't work as well - they need to be aimed where they are needed not try to make the whole body relax.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen I had physio before they diagnosed me with pmr they don't do physical massage they gave me some neck roll exercise to do I've woken this morning and it is not too bas, hope it stays that way, Thank you for replying Eileen

• Posted

Earlier this year I was attempting to reduce from 6 to 5 1/2 and then 5 mgs within a couple of months and got tight muscles in neck and shoulder.  I decided it was a flare, upped meds to 8, one day, then 7 two days and now I am back to 6 mgs.  Muscle tightness and knot gone.
    • Posted

Thank you Peggy for your reply I did try to reduce from 10mg to 9mg that's how I've .ended up in this mess I went back to 10mg so I'm sticking to that for a while before I try to reduce again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.