Krill Oil

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, very simple question. I have Ckd stage 3. Does anyone take Krill Oil to help reduce cholesterol? I take a statin at the moment but my cholesterol had actually gone up so I'm looking for an alternative. I read somewhere that it had anti-inflammatory properties so I'm unsure of the impact on kidneys

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I also have stage 3 ckd, I don't take krill oil but I do take fish oil. I don't have any cholesterol problems...I take it just because I know it's good for heart health. However, I hear krill oil is better or should I say more nutritious than fish oil. I do know for a fact that krill and fish oil are good for cholesterol.

• Posted

Thank you, I managed to speak to a pharmacist who said it was fine to take Krill Oil. He recommended taking 500mg a day and if no issues to increase to 1000mg
  • Posted

Hi,

Don't know about krill oil but do know anti inflammatory tablets such as ibruprofen should be avoided as they make kidney function decline that is why people with CKD are told to avoid.  Why no speak with your dr to come up with more effective treatment.  My dr tried to make me take statins and I refused partly due to the fact of all the horrible, sometimes permanent side effects but mostly due to the fact they tested my blood in Jan (I had eaten cheese all that month as it was the only thing I could stomach due to being end stage) and only told me in April to take them and they refused a repeat blood test as I knew what the cause was so I refused, when I had bloods done again after eating well not a lot it was all back to normal so I was right to refuse in my case.  I would always ask about supplements as they can interfere with other meds, even simple grapefruits messes with a lot so best to ask a medical person to be safe.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.