Kyphosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I’m 15 years old and I have kyphosis. I have been under a hospital for about 2 years now and my curve has gotten to 77 degrees.  I’m always in pain and am self conscious about the way it looks. I have just just been offered the spinal fusion surgery but before I make my decision I would like some advice from other people who have experienced it or know about it. I really don’t want to make the wrong decision. Thank you  

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

When I was 16 I had scoliosis with a 76 degree curve.  My sister also had it.  We had surgery on the same day.  My mom's scoliosis didn't show up until she was in her 60's.  It went bad very fast and her body is now all twisted out of shape and she's in so much pain.  If you are already in pain, and your doctors think your life would be better with the surgery, I think I would do it.  Best of luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Maya,

I am 45 years old and have had Kyphosis since the age of 14, my curve is 83 degrees, I made the choice not to have surgery, I unfortunately do now get a lot of back pain, chest pain and can get breathless a lot of time which can make daily life a bit difficult, if I could roll back the years I would certainly give surgery a go, 

All the best to you. 

Matt

• Posted

Hi,

I had fusion surgery with rods in 1976 and would definitely recommend. My understanding is that the surgery is less invasive now and the recovery time is less (I wasn't allowed to walk for 3 months).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.