Kyphosis questions 15 year old boy

Posted , 4 users are following.

We adopted our 15 year old son four years ago. I have always noticed a slight curve in his back but it has gotten much worse during the last year. He complains about back pain when he walks and sits. I had an orthopedist who, after x rays determined his curve to be 76 degrees. His recommendation is to come back in 3 months to X-ray again and to start him in physical therapy. I think the curve is significant enough that PT will not really help. Should I wait three months and so PT or seek a second opinion with a children's orthopedist? Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would get a second opinion. If it's already hurting he should be starting treatment ASAP, not waiting. Also, if he's not done growing surgical intervention or bracing might be an option for him.

• Posted

Hello - what worked for my son may work well for yours but you want to start right away. It can help to quickly stop pain, halt progression and possibly even enjoy some correction if he's not fully grown yet - it's a specialized physiotherapy called Schroth Thereapy. They are specially trained scoliosis experts who work from your xrays to develop specific exercises for your curve. And the have to be done exactly right - it's a daily 30-40 minute work out for the rest of his life but it works! My son was diagnosed just before his 14th birthday with Scheureman's kyphosis. He went into a brace which helps stop progression but once we started the Schroth we saw very positive change.  My boy was diagnosed at a quickly progressing 68 degrees and he's now at 42 degrees. Normal. Our story is posted here back in Feb and updated couple days ago. Please check if you have any certified Schroth therapists available to you and do it quickly while there may still be some growth - once he's done growing the possibility of any correction will largely reduce but will it will still be effective for pain control, prevent progression and improve appearance and self confidence Please google it but make sure they are Cerified - this has been big in Europe for years but fairly new to North America. We are in Western Canada

• Posted

Schroth Method for Scoliosis and Kyphosis on facebook may help you find a good therapist in your area.
    • Posted

Thank you. It looks very interesting. Unfortunately, there is nothing close to us.
  • Posted

If it has gotten worse in the last year, I would definitely get a second opinion. It's just my opinion, but I am pessimistic that PT could help a curve of that severity. My curve was 67 degrees when I had scoliosis surgery. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Yeah, I had him to our family doctor last year with concerns about his back. An X-ray was ordered but not a side view. He sent us to an orthopedist this year when I again expressed concern. The orthopedist is the one who diagnosed him but didn't seem real knowledgeable... his exact words were " He has a 76 degree curvature, I am not sure at what point doctors get concerned.".... I will be calling our local children's hospital tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

If possible find an orthopedist who specializes in spines. When I had to find one recently, the one I saw asked me who did my surgery. I told him Ronald DeWald in Chicago. He said, "oh, I studied under his son." It made me feel old, but I felt like I was in good hands.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.