L- carnitine for Graves

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have read that L- carnitine, acetyl L -carnitine, Alph lipoic acid could be beneficial for patients with Graves.Does anyone have any knowledge of any of these being of benefit and if so ,which one(s).Patient also has psoriasis, coeliac and type1 diabetes! Thank you.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I believe I would still be sitting here with a TSH of 0 if I had not taken the Carnitines.  I am happy I found out about it.
    • Posted

Hi Linda-still working on my son.Have you heard of any/many other Graves patients who have used L- carnitine/acetyl L- carnitine with success? Do you know if anyone has ever managed to totally come off meds. by using it (thoiugh i suspect i am looking for miracles here).
  • Posted

A lot of people on this Board have benefited from taking Regular L-Carnitine.  There are published medical articles on the benefit of its use in this disease.  I am so grateful that I came across them at a time when my recovery was stalled.  There was one lady who had Hashimoto's (another autoimmune thyroid disease) who was able to stabilize her symptoms and her lab tests after many years of struggling with them.  The Acetyl-L-Carnitine ,as I may have mentioned before, is different from the Regular L-Carnitine and while I really benefited from its use in addition to meds, it requires a lot more caution in its use and each person's case is unique.  What I found with Acetyl is that it is extremely potent when it is taken along with meds and it raises TSH and lowers Free T3 and T4 extremely quickly.  Unless a person has access to medical testing more frequently and knows how to adjust meds and/or supplements for these quick changes, they have a great danger of going very hypo very quickly whereas this is not an issue with the Regular L-Carnitine.  

Regarding the LDN, I took it for no more than 2 weeks when I realized how depressed I was feeling and stopped it then and returned to normal as soon as I stopped it.  I had read good things about it and was anxious to try it but as I said,probably because of my history and my deficiency in the neurotransmitter nor-epinephrine, I reacted to it this way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.