L-Carnitine vs Acetyl-L Carnitine

Posted , 3 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

What is the difference between L-Carnitine vs Acetyl-L Carnitine? Also, what recommended brands are more effective?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Here's what I know.

Regular L-Carnitine has a lot of carnitine and a little bit of Acetyl in it and Acetyl L-Carnitine has a little bit of carnitine and a lot of Acetyl in it.  I think that is why the research study I saw tested Regular L-Carnitine  in Hyperthyroid patients because it is safe and does not cause rapid changes in lab test results, although it will cause some changes.  My TSH began to rise for the first time in 2 years when I first took Regular L-Carnitine.

Because Acetyl-L-Carnitine has a lot of Acetyl in it, it crosses the blood-brain barrier.  This means when I took it along with Methimazole, it carried the Methimazole and the carniitne across the blood brain barrier.and it affected my TSH level rapidly raising it from essentially 0.12 to 0.70 and later all the way to 2.5. 

I hesitate to tell patients to use Acetyl because most people are not knowledgeable in how to use it while preventing hypothyroidism.  This requires a lot of knowledge and skill to be on top of lab results and your doc to lower Methimazole dosage while you adjust the Acetyl dosage or discontinue it altogether.  I have seen far too many people who took too high a dose to start with and continued to take it without the extreme monitoring and dose adjustment requirements and suffered severely from extreme hypothyroidism very quickly.  I was very fortunate to have a GP who helped me follow thyroid testing at least every 3 weeks.  And a good endocrinologist who knew how to adjust methimazole dosages based on my lab tests.  .  In Medicine Acetyl L Carnitine is used in Neurology for Alzheimers and dementia.

So I would recommend the Regular L-Carnitine to start with.  Then gage how you are feeling.  Many hyper patients who do this notice that their muscles feel better.   All the patients in the research study benefitted from using the Regular L-Carnitine.  As well as feeling better, thyroid storms were not as severe.  As far as brand names, I used mostly Genestra L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine.  I have also used other brands so I don't think brand names makes much difference.

Many if not most hyperthyroid patients are often deficient in Vitamin D, and Magnesium.  Getting all 3 values tested (Total and Free Carnitine, vitamin D and Magnesium) and if deficient using supplements to improve them makes good sense.  If not deficient, then I wouldn't take it.

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up