L-Lysine Dosage?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just curious if some folks have found any direct correlation and relief in taking L-Lysine. Has there has been a consensus as to what amounts of L-Lysine has been effective in the early stages of shingles (pre, during, and post rash)?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I think 2000 mg/day is good but you can check for more info. It might be more than that. Lysine and Vit. C are two of the best things to take for shingles. I read that it helps to kill the virus.

• Posted

I looked into Lysine when I got recurring Shingles. I looked at some of the main reputable medical sites, they seem to suggest that there is no clinical/medical evidence to suggest that Lysine has any benefits in Shingles. However, there seems to be a lot of people who post on sites like this that they find it beneficial. Some of these sites suggest that, as It is used to treat cold sores, and these can be from the same family (Herpes), then it makes sense that there may be some kind of link. It could also be that there is a clinical/medical benefit but the research to prove it just isn't there yet.

• Posted

Yes I had shingles under the skin with no rash and the Dr would not do anything about so I found out about L-Lysine 500 mg 2 a day it worked I still take one a day no more pain

• Edited

So sorry I was unable to respond quickly to the nice comments and good information several of you posted. We have been traveling in our RV since Christmas and have not felt well enough to drive back home to Colorado with these shingles.

I was able to pick up some good quality Lysine at Whole Foods and I've been taking three to four of the 1000 mg tablets daily. Thankfully most of my symptoms have gone way including the intense pain and rash. But I am still fatigued and experience late afternoon headaches and occasional short bouts of flu-like symptoms. But I am encouraged that I'm on the downhill side of this. My biggest challenge is not to overdo as I keep thinking I'm fully well.

I'm definitely going to continue to take the L-lysine for a good season because I certainly don't think it has hurt.

Good luck to all with this crazy, debilitating sickness.

• Posted

I am going to get some today. I am on week 12. still very fatigued, and flu-like symptoms, less the fever on and off, all day. I don't have any pain occasionally tingley where the rash was, but I figure it cant hurt and not much is helping. I start to feel okay got a few days, do too much and bam! feel like crap again.

hope you get better every day.

• Posted

Hello,

I have herpes zoster (shingles) and a recurring infection in my eye. I am not sure the exact amount of infections, but since I was 4 years old, I'd say I've had an active virus 50-100 times in my life.

I usually take FAMVIR, but I ran out recently and the doctor wants me to come into the office every single time to get a refill. It's a scam. Because I make a decent income, I have to pay hundreds of dollars every time I see the doctor (no office visit copay), even though I have this bogus health insurance, which the premiums ran me 20k for 3 people last year alone. I get the opportunity to pay a 4k deductible to then have a 80/20 coinsurance benefit.

I digress;

This time, I decided to take L-Lysine, 1000mg.

The results are outstanding. The initial dose was when I went to bed three days ago, and when I woke up the swelling on my eye was almost completely gone and the pain was gone. I took a second dose that morning and my symptoms went completely away. The swelling was gone, the tingle was gone, the sore which was starting on the bottom of my nostril was gone. My vision is noticeably better.

I cannot believe I've lived almost my entire life with the pain and suffering of this constant chicken pox. I really hate my family for making me hang out with an infected kid, instead of getting me a vaccine.

If you got to this page asking if Herpes Zoster (chicken pox)(shingles) can be relieved or suppressed with L-Lysine - the answer is YES - it worked for me.

If anything changes, I'll update this entry and take back all my words (except about the ACA health insurance scam).

Patients should have the final say in all healthcare decisions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.