L. TKR FAILED!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 20 months post a cementless L. TKR and just learned that it has failed! Yes, I definitely think I would have been better off without the TKR. I plan to live with the failed implant. The bone did not grow into the implant like it was suppose to.....I have no infection or swelling, just soreness and pain down my tibia when I bend over.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my right TKR in 2014 and for the first year it was great. Then it went downhill. I am convinced there is something wrong with it, and like you I get pain in my tibia when I bend over. I have xrays and scans but they have been inclusive. The consultant says that I would have to be in bad enough pain to want a revision as it is a bigger job second time round. He says it could be nerve damage as the skin below the knee can be sore to touch. I have been under the physio for a couple of months now and doing regular strengthening and stretching exercises which seem to be helping. Different from the original exercises. I have decided to go back to the gym in the hope that it might help as long as I don't overdue it. Really don't want a revision and know that I will have to have the other knee done soon fills me with utter dread so I am hanging on as long as possible for that. I also have had my second hip replacement last September which put me out of action for the last 18 months. Hope you get sorted.

• Posted

My knee hurts/feels sore when I get up from a sitting position, bend over to touch the floor, rest and turn over in bed. Walking helps more than not walking but I don't walk a lot. In all fairness, just finished Metal Patch testing and it shows I am allergic to Cobalt! My whole knee replacement is made out of Cobalt!!! It has to be removed. Prior to my LTKR, I had an Orthopedic blood analysis done to see if I was allergic to metals and bone cement. It showed I was mildly allergic to bone cement. I had a cementless implant. The Cobalt almost was the same level but my orthopedic surgeon did not concentrate on that part. Thus the knee must come out and be redone with a 

?knee Oxinium Oxidized Zirconium implant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.