L4/L5 awaiting surgery -advice/tips please

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

This is my first time on this site. I have been off work for 4 months with severe pain (was in hospital for a week at end august) in agony -severe leg pain. MRI showed broad based prolapse at L4/L5 and was started on range of medication (gabapentin, dihydracodeine, paracetamol), was sent home on 2 crutches. I saw the orthopaedic surgeon in October who referred me to neurosurgeon and also physio. I had physio (acupuncture, Mckenzie exercises and tens machine) with no cumulative effect. I have been back and forward to my gp and now on baclofen (muscle relaxant) and increasing meds. I can manage now with one crutch when outside, can walk to the car and can drive just locally for about 5 mins before pain gets too bad. My life at the moment bears no resemblance to life before this all started. I saw the neurosurgeon in December who went through my MRI in great detail - prolapse at L4/L5 so big and pressing on nerve that there is less than 5% chance of any further recovery without surgery. I also have a prolapsed disc further up which is not causing me problems at the moment and he said that the discs in between are "not great" either. So he took decision out of my hands (as less than 5% chance of any further recovery, and I can't get back to work with pain, mobility, disturbed sleep, amount of meds and inability to drive distance etc). So... he said surgery will be around end of January and will have piece of bone removed and then as much of the disc removed as he can get, he said around 85% success of pain going but that numbness down leg/foot and pins and needles won't go as the nerve is permenantly damaged there. I am hoping others have been through similar and can maybe give me some advice/tips to help me cope in the days leading up to and following surgery and recovery.

Thank you and looking forward to responses.

A

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I am still waiting on a date for surgery despite initially being told it would be the end of January. I have been off work since August and now down to half pay. No sign of CES however the nerve pain (always in left leg, hip and side of back) is now travelling to the right side with my right hip and side of back having similar pain. I am really struggling with it all. I am still having to use a crutch when outside walking from house to car (can drive 5-10 minutes only before pain overwhelms me). Last night I was gently feeling down my spine (as far as I was able) and notice that further up from my L4/L5 (where prolapse is) my spine is tender/painful when I press it, not sure whats going on, has anyone else had this. I know that the surgeon said that further up there was another prolapse but that it didnt seem to be causing me problems at that time.

Re benefits, I am now down to half pay and have applied for Employment and Support Allowance, happy to help anyone with this.

take care everyone who is struggling with proplapsed disc pain.

• Posted

Hi All

Just wanted to give you all an update - I had a call this morning from the neurosurgeon's secretary advising me that they have a provisional date of 7th April for me to go in with surgery taking place on 10th. She said that it wont be definate until I receive letter confirming dates and reminded me that it may be cancelled at very short notice if there is an emergency.

so....6 and half months off work, in constant pain and at last a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope the date all goes to plan. She said that when I go in on the 7th (a friday)  there will be a pre-op assessment and range of tests then I may stay in or go home and return on the Sunday night for surgery first thing in the morning.

I am still not 100% whether it will be open laminectomy and discectomy or micro and have loads of questions to ask prior to surgery but for now  I just want to keep my fingers crossed it all goes ahead.

Can I check with all of you who are so kind in sharing your stories of surgery how long you were in hospital and if anyone has any good tips on what to take into hospital with you.

I was at physio today who had managed to get me new crutches (these new ones have molded handles which spread the weight over your hand as I was getting such a lot of pain in my right wrist through constant use of crutch.

with thanks

A

• Posted

I was in 2 days after my discectomy but it all depends on the individual. If all one or ok and the op goes well shouldn't be more than 2 days

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Jessica. Back in December when I saw the surgeon he said anything from 2-5 days so it's good to hear it may be 2 days. Also wanted to ask when you had the pre op did you also get another mri done? My MRI was in august.

Thanks

A

• Posted

Unfortunately no as mine was an emergency, so had the MRI 11am on a Friday morning, I was Down theatre by 4pm and in there 3 hrs as l4/l5 had burst. I woke up with stockings on 😂And inflatable things round the bottom of my legs to prevent dvt. Also a drain in my bck to get rid of any excess fluids or blood. Drink plenty of water after op, as flush s all the 💩They use in theatre put u system. Also my blood pressure was a little low after. This helps bring it bck . Remember once u leave hospital take it easy for at least 3 month. They say 6 wks but I found that to early. Iam due bck down to theatre in April to have this done again on others discs plus wallis ligament s, as a pose to spinal fusion. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Scotland disc. I'm 4 weeks post op from my discectomy. The operation went well. I had no leg pain after the op at all.! Unfortunately tho 24hrs after, when the physio lady raised my leg, I had pain in my thigh. Its slowly got worse..and has been excruciating at times! Saw my surgeon yesterday and I'm now awaiting an MRI to see if my Disc has re-prolapsed.! I had my operation on the Monday at midday, and was told I could go home on the Wednesday evening.! My advice to you..Please do not lift your bad leg if Physio ask you to.!! Just say no.!! Really hope you get yours done on the date..and it's not cancelled.

• Posted

I have this op and was never asked to raise any legs , only to sit in a chair and walk with a frame up and down the ward. She may have may of over done it with u .
    • Posted

Hi Jessica

Alot of people have said physio shouldnt have done it! She got me out of bed and I walked a few steps then back on the bed. Lying down, she had me pull my thigh towards me then raise my leg up. As soon as I raised it, I had the pain in the back of the thigh. Its been excruciating. I even rang NHS 111 two weeks after..and got sent to my local hospital.! Just got to see if the MRI shows anything.! It could be a nerve injury apparently..caused from when the leg was raised, and inflammation rubbing on the nerves.! It's very frustrating..especially as I was pain free straight after the op..!!

• Posted

A friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us, had cancer tumour s in his hip. causing fracture s they had almost healed once and a physo lifted his leg to high and caused the fracture to recur he put a massive complaint in. I personally won't let them or chiropractor s touch me any more .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.