L4 L5 Bulging Disc with Annular Tear

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering with lumbar back pain on and off for around 16 years, after I fell off a horse while learning to ride in the Army.

Since then I have definitely had periods of no pain, and periods of debilitating pain. In the last 3/4 years it has become constant, most of the time it's a dull ache. Sometimes it's a dull ache with sciatica in my right buttock and down the front of my right leg (quadricep), it doesn't travel below the knee.

I have now been told it's muscular, it's sacroiliitis or I have weak core muscles. I have been tested for Ankylosing Spondylitis (direct family history), I've had hydrotherapy, gym based physio at the local hospital, a lumbar epidural (lasted a day) and I've just been referred back to my GP after another 7 weeks of Physio.

I have seen an Orthopedic surgeon who gave me 3 options:

1. Do nothing.

2. Have yet more physio.

3. Spinal fusion.

As I write this I'm off work sick because my lower back is excruciating. I can barely move, although I am trying to keep active.

I'm lost I don't know what to do. I have diclofenac for the pain, that hasn't worked. This morning I took some over the counter co-codomol (not with the diclofenac!!), which took the edge off slightly.

I'm seeing my GP on Monday as my Physio has written him a letter. I haven't been privy to any of this correspondance but the physio read out what the Orthopedic surgeon wrote and that was that I have a "disc bulge with annular tear". How long for, I don't know...possibly 16 years?!

I'm going to ask for re-referral back to orthopedics, but, so far, nothing has worked for me. Is my only option now an operation to fix this? I know for sure I cannot carry on like this.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

oh my god!!! I have pretty much the same experience as you. Only my back isnt as bad smile How long ago was this ?
  • Posted

Hi Andy , sorry to hear of your condition . I will not go into my details as it appears that everyone wants to tell you about thier condition and that is not what you want to hear . In respect to the opeartion I know of several people that have had it and I will myself will not be going down that road.I was told that surgery has now become less adviseable so perhaps the surgeons have finally realised that it is not succesful.

I wish you look which ever direction you take .

David

p.s I have it and I rest excise and take Parocitemol (excuse spelling) I have tried all the nasties including Tramadol and they do not work for me. 

• Posted

Paracetomol has never worked, neither has Ibuprofen. That's what I was given Diclofenac, and even that has stopped working.

Thanks for the comment.

• Posted

I had a lumbar disc problem many years ago and it then started to cause problems off and on. More recently I started taking glucosamine and condroitin and touch wood things have improved no end.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.