L4/L5 Central Disk Herniation

Posted , 35 users are following.

I am so happy I have found this website. I am also suffering from slipped disk problem. It all started April 2010 when walking or standing I constantly kept getting pins and needles on my left foot, once that happens my leg starts to hurt and my buttock. Once I sit down somewhere it eventually eases off. My MRI results confirm L4/L5 Central Disk Herniation. My doctor first gave me Ibuprofen then Dicloflex.

I am very concerned for the future as am only 26 years old and married with 2 young kids.

I have been referred by my GP to a Orthopaedic Hospital near Stanmore.

They have told me that it takes about 13 weeks before I can be seen.

What I would like to know is

-What is the next stage at hospital and options?

-Anybody with similar problem?

-Advice?

I would really appreciate with any information posted.

Thanks

[color=green:d181123c1c][size=9:d181123c1c][i:d181123c1c][b:d181123c1c](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) [/b:d181123c1c][/i:d181123c1c][/size:d181123c1c][/color:d181123c1c]

1 like, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

This is my last post a few months ago.

I had an op, spinal canal decompression and removal of L5/S1 disc protrusion ( or something like that) anyway, you could always fiond my other posts on here too but here is my last post

Two and a half years since my post about the op and the pain t[size=18:01171530f2][color=blue:01171530f2]ree weeks after, thought it might help to roughly update should anyone have any concerns....

I did have one more injection In feb 2008 (I believe) and from that day to this I have been as good as pain free, I do have the odd ache and once in the blue moon a slight pain in the lower back, never ever like the pre op pain though, and I have attended a gym two to three times a week from (probably) May 2008, I do upper body workouts including weights and machines and I am therefore not surprised that I get the occassional ache.

For anyone with any concerns about an op..... remember there are good reviews as well as bad

Hope everyone is well

Best regards

Wuffy[/color:01171530f2][/size:01171530f2]

• Posted

hi

Ive had problems for about 10 years with my L4/L5, all happening on my left side hands, leg and toes, ive tried the injections, tens machine, and nothing has worked, i have a wheel chair, walking stick, im 42 years old, a care manager, an im still determend to not use anything, and my consultant sent me to the pain managment department, its been another year down the line, and still no further farward, they sent me back to our spinal dpartment, which i ended up seeing another consultant, which on my first appointment he asked me after looking at my MRI and the time its gone on, "why havnt you had sugary before now" well everyone, times come i go in on the 10th aug..... im dreading it, they putting spacers at my L4-L5 and L2-L3 fingers crossed all goes well xx

• Posted

Has anyone been offered or looked into Stem Cell research yet? I heard of some positive results in the USA.

I have a mild slipped disc between L4-L5. The drug prescribed to me is Pregabalin (Pre-gab-a-lynn) and was also told to stay active, never sit down, keep blood flowing to the disc as much as possible. Nothing strenuous but swimming, walking and light jogging.

Online are mild core strengthening exercises too. If you can slowly build up the muscles around your spine without causing more damage then the muscles will start taking more of the weight and ease off your spine.

Planks and the superman are good exercises with no jolting or twisting involved.

• Posted

Help!

Hope you guys are doing great.

It has been 3 months I had pain sometimes light some times average in my left leg. Two weeks ago it became worst so I went and got my lumbar spine MRI. Found out that I have herniation or dislocation of a disc between L4 AND L5 just near the hip. The report says;

Loss of normal lumbar lordosis is seen, which may be secondary to muscles spasm. Disc dehydration seen at L5 - S1. At this level there is a left posterolateral and central diffuse disc protrusion causing a moderate to severe left lateral recess stenosis with the left forminal stenosis with thecal compression and a right forminal narrowing.

Mild diffused disc bulge seen at L4 - L5 causing thecal indentation with encroachment and narrowing of the neural formina on either side.

The caudae equina and filum terminale are normal. The paravertebral soft tissues are normal. No facet joint abnormality is seen. The vertebral bodies show no abnormal signal to indicate bone marrow replacement.

So, I went to a good doctor adviced by few of my relatives. He said it could get worst if I would not take it seriously. The medicines he prescribed are as follows; 5 day plan

Neubrol Forte 1+0+1

Otek 1+0+0

Rizik 1+0+0

Alp 0.25 mg 1+0+1

He also gave me an injection called Depomedrol for the inflamation caused due to dislocation.

Third day of this above aforesaid prescription and a complete rest gave me a complete overhaul and I felt just normal. But that day again I went on with my normal routine and when I came back I had this back pain again. Someone from my family adviced to keep a hot bag on my leg and I started using it for which I guess it has got worst. Now I can hardly take 20 to 25 steps and I cannot further move on or lift my left leg due to intense pressure, pain, and numbness in my left foot.

Please advice or help me what is happening with me and how severe it is?

• Posted

New to this site so not really sure how everything works. Wanted to post my own discussion, but not sure how. Had a fall not long ago at work and due to pain of lower back and leg pain I had an MRI done and here are the results..There is mild degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 with disc space and narrowing and disc desiccation. At L4-L5 there is a small central disc herniation with slight compression of the thecal sac and possible compression of the L5 nerve roots. This is slightly more to the left than the right. MY QUESTIONS: Do I need to see an Otho doctor for this? I am having mild to moderate pain depending on what I do. Does this condition cause nerve pain in the legs? Please let me know something.
  • Posted

HI THAT WOULD DEFINATLEY CAUSE NERVE PAIN IN THE LEGS ESPECIALY IF THE NERVE ROOT IS COMPRESSED. YOUR GP WILL REFER YOU TO A ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR OR A NERO SURGEON FOR TREATMENT IF THEY FEEL ITS NEEDED. A WORD OF ADVICE IF YOU WOULD LIKE SOME MORE RESPONSES THEN START YOUR OWN THREAD OR POST IN A NEWER ON IS THIS THREAD STARTED IN 2010 SO NOT A LOT OFPEOPLE WILL BOTHER TO VIEW IT .
  • Posted

Hi. I've just spoken to my consultant who has confirmed from my mri that I have a disc bulge at L4/L5. She has given me two options. The first being a nerve root block injection or secondly referral for surgery. She

Says that the injection has a 33% chance of working completely 33% of relief for a while but then recurring

and 33% of giving no relief at all. If she refers me for surgery then there will be a long waiting list for the

actual operation. I was wondering which option you would go for. I have been off work now for 13 week and

am on morphine and gabapentin. I can only walk a few steps and am only really pain free lying down, I can't

even sit on a chair. I was just wondering which option others would go for following their own experiences.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi,

I have been recently diagnosed of PIVD instability in joints in my MRI report, I have this pain from last 2 year and now i am told that i will have to do yoga for rest of my life.

Can you please advice on this, also if you could suggest some YOGA and PRECAUTIONS for this. Will be thankful to you for this.

Thanks,

• Posted

Hello,

I have a similar issue. I have been told I have a trapped sciatic nerve and need surgery. Tried physio, acupuncture and hydrotherapy. Pain killer are now loosing effect as well. I have medical insurance but doesn't cover MRI scan. So am waiting on the NHS for the scan before I can get surgery. I can hardly walk and can't work. It is becoming a nightmare. Am usually very active and am loosing faith that I will ever be right again. Does anyone have any experience with MRI scans and waiting times? I do sympathies with everyone in the same position as me - just trying to stay positive.

Take care!

• Posted

Jaybe1977.

Thanks for sharing your experience- same as mine. May I ask how things are going now or advise you can share? I trust you are better. Sincerely, Dave

• Posted

Hello Dave,

I am sorry to hear you are suffering. I struggled to get anyone to realise how bad my back had become. I finally got an mri scan through persistence. At this point I realised I had private health insurance through work and I had the operation within 5 days. After 12 months of agony! I followed the surgeons advice, no sitting for 6 weeks, walking everyday and the exercises. I wouldn't say my back is 100% now but I can do most things I want to, hiking, swimming etc. I do still avoid too much heavy lifting. When the weather is damp I have a dull ache which is usually cured by ibuprofen and paracetamol. But generally exercise is the key. Good luck and I hope you get things sorted soon.

• Posted

hi,

I think it depends on what area you are in and the hospital you need to go to, I have had back problems since I was 7 and had an MRI when I was 18 got told I had a bloated disc, I got sciatica when I was 27 and could not get rid of it for 5 years, then last year I had acupuncture and it was gone after 3 sessions, but a few weeks ago I got up and could not walk, lay sit or stand properly and went to the doctors after 5 days because I had these pains before and they went after a day or two, he sent straight for an MRI rather than sending me to a consultant again and I have an appointment which is only 6 weeks from seeing the doctor. I thought that if it was going to be a 6 month waiting list then I would pay privately you can get same day appointments in London for £325 if you would wait for 10 days it would be £200, my local private hospital charge £464 for the MRI all these prices are for an MRI in only one location (lumber position), if you need more then one area scanned you will have to pay more.

hope this helps a little.

• Posted

I had a forklift injury after driving it for 2 days with bad suspension and potholes.

I ended up with 4 prolapsed disc and major buldging on L4/L5 (mri scans showing the problem)

It was 10 weeks before it released from the neve.

I'm back to work now but have to take 2 tramadol 50mg to get me through work.

I feel now my back is now badly weakened by this and consultant has advised me to go for surgery.

I also get very bad cramps in my leg, has anyone else have this problem?

• Posted

I posted back in August 2012 on here and thought I'd give you an update as my Sciatica has completely gone. I had the steroid injection in my lower spine under a local anaesthetic. It really doesn't hurt one bit, in fact after they had performed it I was still waiting for it to be done and tge staff were wondering why I was still laying on the table!!

Anyway, since then I have been able to engage in light activity and started slowly building my core muscles around my spine. I'd say remnants of the sciatica were still present after the operation but as I started to build the muscles around my spine, the sciatica started to slide into oblivion.

I'm a 33 year old man living in Kent who had a mild slipped disc between L4 & L5 since December 2011 and on the 12th Sep 2013 I performed 4 sets of 15 repetitiins of "Deadlifts" at 100kg's. Now google deadlift and trust what I say, exercise and low weight training will make your condition disappear. Just build the muscles around the bone and cater a regime to your personal circumstances regardless of age, weight or gender.

You can do it, because I did.

• Posted

I had an rapid onset L4/L5 disc prolapse in 1972. I was in agony (mostly left leg and buttock), barely able to walk. 6 weeks bed rest did no good. I then had an operation to remove the disc. The surgeon said it was the worst prolapse he had ever seen. The next year I walked the Pennine Way (267 miles) carrying a 50lb backpack. The next year I trekked for 6 weeks in the Himalayas, again with a big pack. Have been fit most of the time since then (playing squash, backpacking etc) but I still experience continuous sensations (not pain) in both legs. Based on my experience I would recommend surgery rather than living for years in pain. Good luck to all my fellow sufferers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.