l4 l5 degenerated disc

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had a scan after an injury reveled l4.l5 degenerated disc and slight buldge 2 yrs ago now had a number of pain killer anti inflamatory tablets and nerve blockers with physio nothing eased the pain it just got worse and worse had epidural in march this yr , 4 day after my pain came back ,but worse with pain now in middle of spine half way up my back,the pain in my buttocks hip groin leg and feet are alot worse with alot more cramping and numbness, last month my legs feel really heavy and dead and it feels like my muscles are tightning up in my bum leg and feet ,nothing seems to help, i carnt even walk to my mums 2 doors away without being in agony cramping etc which is only 2 doors away,iam walking like iam an 80 yr old, n iam only 38 with 3 kids to look after,any ideas of what to do, all the doctors seem to do is try to fob me off with painkillers that dont hlep one bit ,if they did i wouldnt feel like this ;( Thanks x

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Demand an MRI I have been physically and mentally exhausted for two years, it was a bulging disc and six weeks ago it herniated I was in hospital for 9 days stomach pains and everything they didn't know what it was I have a huge herniated disc leg pain foot pain buttock pain I have surgery on sat I'm terrified but if I had to go through what I've been though last six weeks ago again I don't know what I'd do, I can walk about a bit now not longer than ten mins, they said the stomach pain is referred pain! Hope your ok! I don't think people understand the pain! I have been on morphine for weeks x
    • Posted

hi thanx lorriane i have but no joy she just replied things wont have changed since my last one, i just laughed and said well they have after a lot of disscusion and seeing how much pain i was in ,i couldnt even lift my legg up off the bed on examanation ,so she offered me an epidural,which did not help this was in march iam back in august so since then things have gone a hell of alot worse i honestly think that it get any worse than this, i even rang them for cancelation but i didnt even get the chance to tell them why ,i wish it would just go alltogether, this pain is a joke and i cant understand why they let people go through so much pain all time tablets physio etc dont work then sure to god there something needs sorting, i have been on crutches from day one its a joke i dont know how people can go through all this hope people with this problem get things sorted as i feel every day since the epidural that i wont be able to walk as it takes ages to get going after a nights sleep ,hope things get better for all concerened Thanx
    • Posted

Oh I totally understand the pain is just awful my family were trying to get me to be seen private but as it turned out the herniation is huge so the surgeon after seeing him last tues has ordered surgery this sat! I'm scared but I have no quality of life with my kids I have a wheelchair on loan from the British Red Cross so my partner and mum can get me out a bit sometimes don't get me wrong its eased slightly because 5 weeks ago I couldn't stand at all, but I'm still sore and can't be on my feet! I think its awful the time people wait for MRI scans they are costly and they don't like giving them... My mum and fiancé were going crazy when I was in and demanded it be done ... U have to shout louder go to a and e ... I was in there 3 times till i got the MRI x
    • Posted

I get u Lorraine totally understand there a waste of space be ok if it was them went to a n e twice before I got my scan n they wouldn't entertain me kept saying it was sciatica but I was worried it was something genetic as my daughter's hip dislocated for nothing and she had an option and now she as maralgia parafesia,  can't wait till August see what they gonna do carnt cope good Luck on ur op xxx

• Posted

Yeah totally agree, pain is just horrible ! I feel like I have actually changed as a person I'm so crabbit and moany I don't want to do anything cos I feel in pain all the time ... Sitting to standing I feel like something at the bottom of my spine \ buttock is ripping 😁
    • Posted

It's a joke don't know how they can do this to people it feels like my muscles in my leg are tightening up all the time n my back feels like it's gonna collapse if we where horses they put us down when I rub my leg my thigh feels bruised its sore to touch! If I had the money I'd go private xx
  • Posted

Hi ann15503,

It is important to note any modic changes on the MRI. Not all radiologists will report on this or they may just say "reactive endplate changes". If there are, it could be a sign of a disc infection which gets into the bone. There is a questionnaire on the website that gives you results, but I don't hink they allow links in this format, so the more questions you answer yes to, the more likely you might have this problem. It is a rapidly progressing and deforming type of degeneration that is often disabling and does not respond to typical treatments.

Do you have lower back pain at night?

Do you wake up at night with back pain when turning over in bed?

Is the back pain worse in morning, better at noon and worse in the afternoon and evening?

Is the pain located deep in your back?

Does the pain sometimes go down into one or both of your legs?

Does the pain worsen doing physical activity or exercises?

Have you had an X-ray showing some disc degeneration?

Does the pain stay constant for most of the day? Even if the pain lessens some, is it difficult to ignore the pain?

Have different treatments which usually help back pain not work for you?

There is more info at the NeckSolutions website under modic changes.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Steve

• Posted

Thanx Steve I've only had 1 scan 2 yrs ago and things have got lot worse Iam trying to ask for another to see any changes but no joy, I just wish it would go altogether so they,d sort it I carnt even go take my child to school without complete agony n I had to ring my mum up to get my shopping bag that weren't even heavy I just couldn't walk with it and I've looked at the questions and I answered yes to 9 of them
    • Posted

Look for a MAST (Modic Antibiotic Spinal Therapy) clinic. I know there are a number of them in UK and one in Denmark. They might be able to help.

All the best!

Steve

• Posted

Many doctors (in my experience) seem to be very relucatant to do anything about your pain unless you really force them to hurry things along. Reallllly emphasise teh pain your in and the effect it is having on not only your home life but taking care of your children and possibly working lfie. If you really emphasise the physical and mental effects it's having on yu and how significantly it's effecting your lifestyle then it will force them to hurry along more treatemnt for you. In my experience, after seeing at least a dozen doctors for it, the only way we got things moving forward treatment wise was to really emphasise how big the impact was on my life (although in reality it was still having a massive impact, but they will only move things forward promptly if you're very persistant with it). 

So yeah, be prepared to be very persistant and don't stop knagging them until they do something- I've found that's the only way you can really move forward with treatment for things like this.

good luck! and hoepfully everything will get sorted out for you soon smile

• Posted

I haven't yet but i've been in physiotherapy treatement along with epidurals and painkillersfor a year and the discs haven't changed a bit if not only herniated more so i should be meeting with a spinal surgeon later this month to discuss options (im still young-only 17- so not sure as to what the best option for me will be yet)
    • Posted

I didn't even get the spinal injections the surgeon doing mine is pretty old school and said they won't really work on a herniation this size so straight to surgery I've had physio for two years it did nothing and being on diclofeciac. That long has given me an ulcer... Oh the joys 
    • Posted

oh gosh that sounds horrific! it must be so frustrating sad I've had mine for 2 years as well but thank god the pain has decreased.. maybe you could try being referred by your gp to someone else? I'm in teh south and so have a few good contacts of some doctors i've seen in the south who i could always give you if you were around this area? or you could always go private.. but either way, your situation sounds so increidbly anoying and frustrating sad hopefully things will work out soon sad

have you been doing exercise as well as physio or have you been completely stationary?

• Posted

I have surgery on sat, the consultant is supposed to be one of the best, fingers crossed x
    • Posted

Thanx Rachel there doing my head in don't worry I will wait till August she thought I was nasty last time by her expression but I was not I'd just had Neuf of being fob off with painkillers that font even work so I got the epidural out of them xxx

• Posted

Idiots I've had it for 2 yrs I went docs n asked to be referred to someone coz it's got worse n they said u already are I don't think so as its only painclinic n that don't do owt been through this with my daughter
    • Posted

Waste of time nothing as worked for me so I stopped taking the tablets and they didn't like it so I said well if takin diclopenic amtriptelene, diazepam, pregabalin naproxen gabapenten tramadol n morphine patches don't work then Ian not taking um to make other things worse,  Iam lied on my stomach now n my Ass is numb spasms in my hip every so often pain always down my leg cramping every so often in my thigh n ankle sore n feet numb a joke
    • Posted

Yeah done physio and exercise at home I think if it weren't for the exercise I'd be played up by now Ian active no matter how much pain u have to be having 3 kids but I have slowed down alot n like I said things are alto worse cramping numb heavy everyday now I give up xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.