L4/L5 microdisectomy summer 2007 - how are others doing?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm female, 37 and had an L4/L5 microdiscectomy at end of July 2007 following disk herniation/chronic sciatic pain in the right calf. MRI showed large herniation and had operation privately at Nuffield hospital. Was up and moving around the day after the op. Initially the leg pain improved although I was obviously stiff and sore at surgical site. However, I'm now 5 months on and I still have some leg pain, although nothing like as much crazy pain as I was experienced pre surgery. I also notice that my right leg is very heavy at times and aches and also burns at times along the shin. The leg also aches around the knee and ankle.. the pain seems to shift around all over the leg. I had physio 4 weeks after the op. I'm walking a lot, doing my exercises each morning and cycling. However, I find that standing makes my back ache... even for short periods, so I hate standing around now. Sitting is fine. Driving makes my leg ache. My back didn't really ache like it does now prior to surgery. How is everyone else doing that had similar surgery in the summer?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The vast majority of people here are still waiting for surgery.
  • Posted

Hi JJ

I had spinal canal decompression and removal of L5/S1 disc protrusion start of October and ever since the pain I had in my leg has as good as gone, I get aches in my lower back and occassional ache/pain in leg however, nothing like the excruciating pain prior to having the op and what people have to remember is the nerve is gonna be bruised/damaged from being pressed on by whatever for so long and so it will take a while to heal.

All I know, and I keep saying it, is that if I ever had to have the op again I would in a split second.

Russ

• Posted

Hello JJ,

I had decompression (laminectomy) in March this year at L4-5, the pain initially went but came back within a month twice as bad. Another mri showed problems at L5-S1, so in October I went back in for foramenectomy, laminectomy and discectomy from L4-S1.

I've had some nasty twinges over the last few weeks but they have now gone. I don't have any of the awful leg pain or numbness in my foot. My back aches from time to time around the incision site but other than that I'm really pleased with the progress. I see my NS today and hope he agrees with me.

I echo what Wuffy said, I would have the op again without any hesitation ...... in fact I did 8)

Sandra

• Posted

I had discoptomy on nov 14th, only in hospital over night was discharged the next afternoon as i was up and walking.

still getting some aches but nothing like it was so fingers crossed!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.