L5 nerve compressions

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all

In August 2017 I slipped a disc l4/l5 and weeks and months been fobbed off by gp, I’ve spent thousands on treatments and an mri scan to get my diagnosis which confirmed that my disc is sitting on my l5 nerve - this was diagnosed in jan and I was scheduled to have the nerve root block injections but found out I was pregnant so have had to postpone - I’m now 6 weeks away from giving birth and consultant said they will do the nerve blocker 2 weeks after the baby is born! The sciatica is horrendous it hasn’t increased in pregnancy which is a good thing but equally nature hasn’t healed it either which I had hoped ! I’m 13 months in now, it really affects my menta health I have a 4 and 2 year old too and not a lot of support. I don’t even have a lot of emotional support it’s one of those things because people can’t see it they don’t have any empathy some people even ask me if the pain is in my head. 

Can anyone please give me some hope? Reassure me that this isn’t life for me now! I’m only 34. 

From what I’ve read about the injections I had hoped it was a miracle cure but most of what I’ve read suggests it doesn’t even work ? 

What the hell works ???

Acupuncture, osteo, physio, chiro Pilates, swimming, medication ( gabapentin) I’ve tried everything and I’m seriously at my wits end now.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I've had problems with my L4/L5 area which has given me so much pain in the past. I had a narrow path around the sciatic nerve and tried injection which didn't help me. I had a decompression surgery on the same area 6 months ago and it definitely made an improvement but I'm still getting slight pains on and off so am still on painkillers although dosage is down to minimal.

Another chap on here suggested IDD treatment which I'd never heard of but I googled it and it has a high success rate. I wish I'd known sooner as it's non invasive but if I'm not a lot better in a few months I will try that myself.

I would look into it if I were you. And yes it does mentally mess you up, ppl don't realise do they?

• Posted

Simple answer is #4...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/sciatic-nerve-pain-from-the-perspective-of-many-decades-629096

You may not have the bone spur but it sounds like you absolutely need a decompresssive laminectomy of L4/L5.  Once the neurosurgeon goes in, he/she may find more issues (like my spur) and even extend the work to L5/S1.  For this problem, everything else is a waste of money.  The good news is that the relief is instantaneous although it may take an extra week for the inflamed nerve to completely resolve.

• Posted

The "gold standard" spine test is a CT/Myelogram with contrast.  Gives the neurosurgeon an exact map of your spine. A decompressive laminectomy is general anesthesia surgery so you'll be asleep.  Small incision at L4 through S1 so the neuro can see what's going on in there.  The goal is to free up the nerve root and give it a cleat path out of the spine.

• Posted

Natally,

I can imagine how you are feeling, please try to keep your mind clear you have so much to fight for with your baby.

You still young, I am going for a surgery on the 17th is called ALIF Anterior lumbar interbody fusion, i hope give me some better life style, ask your neurologist to see if you are a candidate, there are a lot of options, you just need to find a good Dr.

Good luck

princes di

• Posted

With everything said, Life goes on. I was lucky enough to just have surgery. My wife is giving birth within the week and I will be able to hold my baby boy when he is born, unless he is over 10 lbs. Ha. I cant imagine what you are going through. I am 32 and have had 2 back surgeries. for you at this moment, I can say It gets better... a lot better. With three kids, you are going to have to make sure you are in shape all the time, keep your body weight low and your core muscles very strong (this is after you have surgery).

Research what you will need to have a fast recovery (sleep, walking, double your food intake and eat what is recommended. look into living with someone for the duration of your recovery or look into hospice because recovery is no cake walk either. but about 2 months after your surgery, you'll start to feel your normal self again and start to take care of your family the way you want to. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.