L5/S1 disc bulge with sciatic pain in my left leg. Have this prob for more or less 2 years now.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.I am 22 years old. I have been reported with central disc bulge at L5/S1,pressing my nerve root and a radiating pain in my left leg. In these past few years I have tried loads of pain killers, acupuncture, physiotherapy, Massage,swimming etc.  But Nothing worked out for me. 

I blame myself also. 2 years back I only had mild disc slip with no pain in my leg. I was totally free of sciatica.I developed this disc problem while bowling in a cricket match.It was a cricket injury for me.And I should have stopped bowling for Atleast an year.But I was just impossible for me to stay away from my game And I didn't take it seriously.So I kept bowling off And onn And it increased my problem. And now I have this Never going sciatic pain And I don't know how to get rid of this.I can't even go back in time and NOT bowl and take my pain seriously. I wish I could do that. 

Any cricket liking guys here  ? Any bowlers here  ? 

And plus I wanna ask I am a right arm fast bowler. Oh I am sorry I WAS a right arm fast Bowler And I developed the pain in my left. What if I start bowling with my left arm?  As an exercise... do you think I can help... shifting the sides  ? Or you think it can aggravate the pain?

I Hope I get some response here soon... 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've had sciatica on and off for about 10 years after a very sports filled life (football, cricket, martial arts) It first occured after a motorcycle spill. 1st occurence lasted about 18 months - constant pain killers (paracetamol & codeine) relieved but no permanent solution. Eventually went to Chiropractor 3 times a week for a year. Then sciatica free for about 5 years. Recently had another motorbike accident (!) and the sciatica has come back. I'm on 1 Solpedine + 1 Nurofen before bedtime (its worse when I lie down) and this seems to help. Reluctant to go back to Chiropractor due to cost but might have to if no permanent solution. After the Chiropractor sessions I was able to carry on with all sporting activities as normal.

• Posted

Thanx for replying mate... I am currently doing stretching.I don't think running would be a good idea for now so I will shift it to cycling to keep my weight in balance. 

And you mentioned you used to play cricket,  were you a fast bowler...?  Cz I developed this prob while bowling and I wanted to discuss this with someone who would understand. 

I used to bowl with right arm and I slipped my disc towards left  ... what if I bowl now with left arm?  Will it help shifting the disc back to It's place  ? Do you understand what I mean   ? 

Would appreciate your experience  :" 

• Posted

Had it on and off for 20 years in 43 now last time I had it was 2009 only lasted a few weeks but this time it's been living hell started after I was doing some exercise on a swiss ball I herd a crack in my ribs from then it was down hill that was last nov been on a cocktail of drugs codine, tramadol , amitriptyline, meloxicam , had physio which was pointless also had hydro asked 4 Gps for X-rays and scans all have said no I'm going back to the hospital next month too start it all again.

In my case the nhs have failed mho im not working I can't drive or hurts too walk or sit I got a si belt off the internet for lower back support I don't know what too do next its a hell 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.