L5 S1 disc herniation

Posted , 9 users are following.

I m 27 year old , i have been diagnosed with disc protusion at L5 S1 one year back. I felt unbearable pain in my left buttock and later during examination by mri scan , i had a disc protusion at L5 S1, i have been prescribed nerve relaxant and pain killer , pain slowly fades away in two week. Since then i was doing back excersice as instructed by physiotherapy and was taking all the precaution from last one year . I didnt have much pain untill recently as i m getting to feel burning sensation on nerve below my waist in both the legs and bothering me a lot . Burning sensation is also accompanied with slight pain too ....

Kindly share if someone have had same kind of experiece as like me ... And any method which can be helpful for meh .... Thank uou so muchhh

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Stan60261 - I see you ahd an MRI a year ago. Like me one year one the disc may have probably 'slipped' further and is now pressing on the nerve.

Just to add the sciatic nerve cant be messed with because it has connections to your bowel and bladder.

You may need another MRI to see what the problem is now or take the pics and get a second opinion.

• Posted

Have You tried using a TENS ? I use one does help 30 mins a day
  • Posted

Hi

I have had L5S1 DDD and Doc said my spine is like old man when I was 23. Now i have been living with this pain for 5 years. Shoulder pain, hip pain and back pain. Same story, pain to walk, pain to sit, pain to carry heavy things, etc. I will skip those same repeated story. Please let me share my experiences I learn over these  5 years for better manage the pain without going to surgery.

Key is POSTURE at every position. Right Posture will lead to natural shape of spine. 

CHECK your posture, do you have flat feet? Knocked knee? Round Shoulder? Pelvic Tilt? If yes, i think although u do fushion, it will just add more stress to spine and lead to more damage in future. With or without surgery posture is important.

Here is a list of things that add positive effect on my DDD problems. I will try to make it short.

1) Lifestyle

Sleep, Sit ,Walk, Work - every position, I try to stay in right posture as much as i can. E.g. I sleep with hard mattress, I sit with proper support, I use backjoy slipper or shoes with arch support, I use monitor stand and adjustable desk at workstation.

Dont ever try to lift heavy things!!! Try to change bit by bit and be patient. Old habit hard to change. 

2) Chiropractic Treatment and Functional Pattern Exercises

A GOOD Chiropractor put my spine back into correct position but the muscle are full with scar tissues and trigger points so the spine is pulled back to bad shape although Chiropractor fix me. A good chiropractor will always tell you to exercise along side chiropractic care.  

What exercise? Rather than traditional Stretching, I would recommend swimming and/or Functional Pattern Exercises

Functional Pattern Exercises are designed for posture correction, 

Stage A - Self-Myofiscal Release - using lacrosse ball or tennis ball, theracanes

Stage B - Static Stretching

Stage C - Corrective Exercises 

I am currently training with Naudi Aguila, Human Foundation videos. Try in Youtube for free.

3) Nutrition

-Glucosamin is very good for Disc. 

-Good diet, if you put on weight, it will put more pressure on your spine. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight as much as u can by controlling ur diet. 

Now I can walk sleep sit with very very very mild pain as long as I dont go beyond this boundary. I ll say i m not totally normal again. But i m 80% healed except i cant carry heavy things and i cant sit or sleep improper posture. Gonna be long journey!!!

Learn, research, consult experts, experiment, get stronger everyday and dont give up!!! Hope it help a little smile

• Posted

Hi Stan

I too am near in age, 28. About 10 weeks ago I felt a burning sensation in what I describe as my coccyx. About three hours later I could barely walk! I saw my GP who suggested I had a bulging disc, prescribed me with painkillers and sent me away telling me it would go soon enough! I took recommendation from a friend to see an Osteopath and did so 4 days after I first felt the pain! I had 5 sessions and definately saw improvement with realigning my pelvis where it has seized from the overcompensation and also although very painful he got to work on loosening my muscles. After 5-7 weeks and not seeing much more improvement in my condition we decided an MRI was the way forward. Got my MRI done and was told that I have L5/S1 slipped disc and bulges on L4/L3 and L2 also which my osteo said is likely a result of the slip. I have been seeing him every week for the last 11 weeks and I am in a better place now for sure than I was. However I still have pain in my hip, that feels like its in the bone, I have tightness of the hamstring in my right leg despite regimentally doing pilates exercises as instructed and stretching as often as possible. I too get a burning sensation behind the knee in the crease of my thigh and calf and cannot seem to get an answer as to why. I had sciatic pain initially throughout my entire leg and now it seems to come and go and stop behind my knee. I also get taughtness in my right buttocks!

I have opted to do manual therapy and manage the pain without medication due its masking of pain and in my opinion greatening the risk of further injury. Injections for pain are also degenerative and surgery for me I am not prepared to consider! I am about to begin one on one pilates with an instructor to improve my core stability and have lost approx 9lb in weight to lessen the load on my back. I am hoping that time and lifestyle changes will aid my recovery. I have spoken to many people who have injured themselves similarly and they all agreed that physio and pilates really helped with their recovery also!

Wishing you the best with your recovery and know that there are plenty of people who feel our pain!

• Posted

Two years to the day I had my Microdisectomy. Still all ok, just need to keep on top of the exercises. 
  • Posted

I'm Suffering like in a hell, 37 years

Posted 5 minutes ago

Past one year i had little numbness in my left knee area where i kept a side and not considered as big issue. Before that i had back pain, time to time and got rid of it by local treatments. But in December 2017 i got severe back pain and got admited, there with MRI scan it's revealed that i have herniated L5 S1 and L4 s1andbulging disc. Now i'm suffering some type of sciatica pain down my both buttoks. So neuro surgeon ask me to go for surgery but where as refused and discharged from hospital without doing it on 15 Jan. Thereafter i started doing Ayuruvedic treatement and i got rid of severe pain. But i still have got severe pain in buttoks and little pain in lower lowest back area.  But when i put my lumber support belt and i wear my jeans with tightly, i wont get pain except very little. However at the evening when i release all tighting things i get pain like hell.

My question are follows:

1.Ayuruvedic doctor met for six times and Dr said you will fully recover by treatment what i'm doing now

2.Will it be possible

3. With having these issue/ severe pain at evening as i said i'm managing my day to day home as well office works, is it going to be dangerous in future? since pain mean something wrong

4. I do not like to do a surgery since few known to me are in paralised condition

5. If i continue with this What are the repercusion ?

• Posted

Hi Lee 

Sorry to hear you are suffering, make no mistake this is a painful injury and just know it will get better if you follow the right steps to recovery. 

I as mentioned had many appointments with an osteopath which was offering very temporary relief, however I came across another osteopath who uses applied kinseology and manual muscle testing which has been of great benefit to me. Not only has it offered me clarity on how I have managed to injur myself but has provided much longer lasting pain relief and ease of symptoms and pain. Maybe try and find someone who works uses this method, also the sessions have been painless in comparison to my original osteo sessions where I came away feeling very bruised! 

Pilates is a must, its very gentle and effective exercise and helps to strengthen your core without the risk of putting yourself ten steps back. Also would recommend yoga stretches also, but you only do what your body will allow you to do. 

I tried to avoid painkillers as for me it masked a problem. I used ice and heat packs alternately to reduce inflammation. 

I've spent a year making slow progress, but I am not doing pilates, yoga and kick boxing which is intense and so far so good! 

Wishing you the best!!! 

• Posted

I meant now doing yoga, pilates and kickboxing! Recovery going strong! 
    • Posted

Hi Surgarplumfairy2

Thanks a lot for sharing unseen aspect, will work on your guidelines where it may get on with me.....but it's quite interesting arena you touched.

Wishing you all the best and wish to see your active life back to you. Your kindness and thoughts mean to me a lot!

Thanks!

Report this

? 0

Reply to Sugarplumfairy2...

• Posted

No problem! I can relate to the constant pain and the frustration that goes with it! 

The applied kinseology method is like what I can only describe as magic! Its hard to get your head around but it works! I went from being told by my original osteopath that my pathetic core is probably what caused my disc to slip as my back had no support, which in part is probably true. However my new osteopath who uses these techniques told me that the tension started no doubt in my jaw (which i can confirm as I work in dental industry and know that I clench and grind my teeth badly) and that because doing this over the years caused me no immediate consequence I did not realise that the tension was building down my spine until the tension had nowhere left to go and something had to give! 

It may be worth investigating this with your dentist also and seeing if you do have any clenching/bruxism issues and if it transpires that you do, then I would thoroughly recommend sleeping with a night guard to keep your teeth apart and relax your jaw muscle! Since seeing this new osteo I have worn my guard almost religiously and have noticed that when I go back to osteopath just for a check over there never seems to be too many muscles holding tight anymore and i've seen a great improvement! 

I can't seem to find any links between this anywhere else or studies but as someone who works in dentistry and who has been through your agony and consulted with a number of people I truly believe this theory in my instance! 

Although its difficult, just stay positive and know that you will get through it and will be healthier ultimately as a result because of the new awareness of your body that having this sort of pain and injury forces upon you!!! 

Keep me updated! Best wishes! 

• Posted

It's true as you correctly pointed out...even my Dr said it can be any reason to develop this kind of issue.

Will come back to you with my results

Thanks a lot!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.