L5/S1 discectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, so I finally had my surgery they sorted the disc and I was pain free for a bit...maybe that was all the morphine ha! Anyway I was prescribed paracetamol and Ibuprofen but that was helping my pain just making me nauseous, the leg pain is near enough the same as before the op and I have no other pain relief,...I have few of gabapentin around the house that I was prescribed for chronic migraines would they like work for nerve pain????'I don't see the doctor till Thursday.....I'm in the uk by the way x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola, sorry to hear that you are still in pain after your surgery. Hopefully that will settle down. Gabapentin can be prescribed for nerve pain but needs to be taken regularly to build up and help. You can get 8/500 co-codamol over the counter. You probably need something stronger though. I was on gabapentin due to severe and constant sciatic pain but it didn't help, the only pain relief that helps me is tramadol now. I'm waiting for surgery ( fusion) so hoping some of the pain will improve.
    • Posted

Hello, co-codamol has never worked for me not even 30/500mg! I have taken the gabapentin see how I go! 
  • Posted

Hi Nicola.

i took gabapentin for sciatic nerve pain it really helped me. It takes time to feel improvement and i hope you get some respite soon.

• Posted

Hello,

how much did you take? I have just taken one 300mg tablet....

i need to learn to be patient haha

• Posted

Hi,

its hard to be patient take it from one who knws lol. I took 300mg 4 times per day and at my worst tramadol but tramadol gave me a bit of nauseau and itchy skin, but i put up with that because i couldn't stand the pain. I was first prescribed co codamol but it made me sick i since had discectomy and then a fusion the discectomy took my nerve pain away. 

I feel for you pain is so disabling 

• Posted

Yes I know lol! Ah well starting from tomorrow I will do that ha! That's all they kept feeding me bleeding cocodamol!! And it does nothing! They wouldn't give tramadol because I am apparently too young for it...never knew a 5ft11 20 year old is too young for tramadol! I don't sleep much either....it really is hopefully physio helps tomorrow
    • Posted

Bless you Nicola, i didn't know you had to be a certain age for tramadol. Sleep depravation for me is the worst, it's been a long time since i went to bed and slept right through. The last 2 days have been better for my pain as i had an SI joint injection on Tuesday i hope it lasts.

let me know how you get on with physio. I always had a little snack when taking gabapentin 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.