L5-S1 fusion, when can I return to work?

Posted , 9 users are following.

My Dr recommended that I have a surgical procedure done to repair the 2 bulging discs in my lower back. But he said it won't cure the pain in Lower back, just the leg pain. He said a fusion may be an option to cure all symptoms I have. I have sharp, cramping in on upper thigh and an calf is like a charlie horse at times, my foot get tingly at times, buttock hurts like heck at times that I'm in tears. I can only tolerate car rides and sitting for approximately 15 min increments. My job isn't physical. Approximately how long would I be out of work?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I had my spinal fusion L5-S1 done on 3 October. I have returned back to work today on a phased return. Back is doing really well but still struggling with my left leg. After surgery I was told the S1 nerve was badly damaged. Due to have another MRI next week to see if anything else going on with the nerve. Have come off all meds due to side effects. Couldn't have returned to work on them ! Is there anyone else with S1 nerve damage and did this recover. 

Good luck if you go down the surgery route.  I have no regrets 

• Posted

I have s 1 damage but am still wayon a operation I hope it will recover but have been told al never be a 100 pain free

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.