L5/S1 Lumbar Fusion - Questions About Restrictions

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,

My name is Trina and I am new to this forum.

Although I had my spinal fusion 12 years ago, I still have a variety of issues to contend with. I experience sciatica, my legs will just jump and/or twitch at random, I have muscle spasms in my legs and my buttocks as well as pain in my feet, low back and hips. This pain wraps around my waist to my abdomen.

I have heard conflicting recommendations concerning lifetime restrictions following a fusion. I am very careful and do not bend, twist, lift heavy objects or do anything of the sort. I believe taking these precautions has helped me avoid another surgery up to this point; however, I do have a herniation directly above my fusion. In addition, because I have a internal derangement of the knee with loss of fluid and herniated discs at levels 5 and 6 in my neck as well as spinal stenosis. Due to these issues, I was told not to reach or squat. And because of my L5/S1 fusion with titanium rods, I was told not to bend, twist or lift heavy items.

My mom keeps telling me about all these people she knows with fusions or who underwent back surgery who are doing great and do not have any pain whatsoever. Of course, I never meet these people and when I ask if they are taking heavy pain killers, she has no idea. I will not take pain medication unless it is absolutely necessary; instead I use natural remedies such as ice, massage and heat to reduce my pain.

Furthermore, chances are, these people that she knows did not have their spinal cord pinned, requiring that it be pried free by the neurosurgeon: The truth is, I am lucky to be walking because this was a surprise and not discovered until the surgical procedure was well under way.

Is there anyone else out there who has experienced this kind of spinal cord problem? I think my spinal cord become pinched while a student chiropractor was adjusting my back. The bed fell unexpectedly, at which time I felt an 'X' of pain directly over the lumbar region of my spine. As the pain continued, it became worse when I stood up (because that is when my spinal cord was really getting pinched).

My mother keeps telling me that I take it 'too' easy. She says that I should be able to 'ride a roller coaster' now that I have a fusion. I take no chances; therefore, I will not ride a bike, roller skate, ice skate, go bowling, jump on trampolines or ride the bumper cars. However, I am tired of debating her, so I would like to know what other people with lumbar fusions have to say.

If you have a fusion; do you still experience pain? If so, how frequently? Is it daily? Do you take pain medication? Do you participate in the activities that I avoid? Have you ever fallen? If so, did it cause any problems with your fusion?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, You can show your Mum my reply. I had a spinal fusion at the same level, l5/s1 in 1984. I have had pain and restrictions ever since. Rollercoaster, no way! You have to look after your back. The fusion puts pressure on the next level up, and can cause herniation there and then next one up and so on. Lifting any weights is a no no, I get severe sciatic pain if I lift much at all, twisting and bending is the same. I don't do it. I have had both knees replaced due to arthritis, and have several other health issues. Yes I do take pain medication, and nerve medication, due to the fact my spine goes over to the left due to the fusion. It takes just a small jerk or twist and I can be bed bound for a day. Not worth it.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

As I told Chico and Molly, I am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I actually lost the emails and just finally got a new one, which gave me the address of this site again.

Your back issues sound very similar to mine. I'm sorry to hear about your knee replacements and additional health issues. You are dealing with so many issues at once, I'm sure it is difficult. I will keep you in my prayers Laura. God

• Posted

Hi Trina, my knee replacements are great, allow me to walk again, though not far due to other problems. You guard your back, its just not worth the risks of damaging it. A fusion isn't a small thing to recover from, and you want it to last. All the best.x.

• Posted

Hi Laura,

I'm glad to hear your knee replacements have really helped to some degree anyway.

Yes, I will definitely guard my back, you're right, it is a really hard thing to recover from. I don't want to go through that again.

I concentrate on taking it one day at a time, that's all you can do.

God bless

• Posted

Hi Trina,

I had fusion at l5/s1 about 22 months ago and have been doing great since the physical therapy sessions ended.

I'm not saying that everything is back to normal but I've been very cautious since this change of lifestyle. I still have not picked up a golf club due to the mental block I have created, however I rejoined a soccer league at 9 months post-op. That proved successful in that I didn't injure myself but it wasn't without fear and hesitation.

With that being said, I am very reluctant to do "normal" things that came so easily before......tying shoes with your feet on the ground, picking things up from the waist, and so on. I get out to hike again and can walk all day long. I do all this with no pain pills nor do I have any lingering effects from the surgery.

I like to think that I'm just extending the time in which I will be back to address l4/l5 which is "moderately" degenerated. I get reminders from time to time that it's back there having to shoulder the load on the top of the fusion.

I have never fallen, don't experience pain daily, not unless I've provoked it, and practice better sitting posture. Most of the activities you listed I personally would stay away from because they sound like great potential for some pain, that's just me though

Best of luck Trina, I do wish you luck

Brent

• Posted

Hi Brent,

As I told Chico, Molly and Laura, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I actually lost the emails and just finally got a new one, which gave me the address of this site again.

I'm glad to hear you're doing so well I hope that continues for you.

I understand not doing certain activities, better safe than sorry. I hope you're able to go back and Golf again.

Thank you so much for the wish of luck I also send that back to you. I will keep you in my prayers.

God bless

• Posted

Been there myself. See if any of this means something to you.

• Played hockey for 45 years. ALWAYS had sciatica issues and always chiropractic fixed me up...except for one time. PT, pain shots, etc. didn't help so I went to my neurosurgeon who saw something suspicious on the MRI. Went in and found a bone spur literally "crushing" (his term) my sciatic nerve root at L4/L5. Decompressive laminectomy of L4 through S1...great result. Pain immediately gone...residual inflammation gone in a week.
    • A few years later, I started to have lots of lower back pain. This resulted in a TLIF (posterior entry) fusion of L3 through S1. Told me that my back looked like a "junkyard". Twelve days in the hospital, four months of rehab, six months in a brace. However, it turned out well. No, I couldn't touch my toes anymore and was cautioned about bending, lifting etc. All in all, a good result.
    • Had a left side total knee replacement in March 2016 and was doing OK until BOTH LEGS started to go numb and weak. This was definitely not sciatica. Doc did an MRI and found foraminal stenosis at L2/L3; confirmed this with a CT/Myelogram With Contrast ("gold standard" spine test...get one!). He could have ripped out all the rails and screws and re-fused me L2 through S1 but offered me an alternative: Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion (LLIF). They go in from your SIDE, drill out the disk and insert a device that acts like a car jack. Doc expands it with an Allen wrench thereby separating the vertebrae and opening up the foraminal canals that were pinching the nerve roots. Immediate pain relief, one night in the hospital, no brace, no rehab. Miracle op!!!!!!!
    • Problem: Started having pain again 8 months later. Doc took a look...seems that the fusion worked TOO well. I had grown so much bone around the fusion that the new bone was pressing on other nerves. So he went back in and cleaned up L2 through L4. Right now, everything is fine.

However... I am on even more restrictions. He told me that I absolutely cannot injure L1/L2 above the fusion. If that joint goes, he will have to fuse me T10 through L2...I don't want that so I've been a good boy at 71 years old.

So, I'd first recommend the CT/Myelogram. Provides the neurosurgeon with a complete map of your spine. If you need a one-level (or even two-level) lumbar fusion, check out the LLIF...sooooo much better than the standard rails and screws. Find a doc EXPERIENCED in the technique!!! Search YouTube for "Globus LLIF Technique" for a cute animation and then "Globus Calibur" for an example of one of the many available insertable devices. Doc makes the choice based on your case and anatomy.

Here's a picture of mine right above the old TLIF fusion...amazing technology...

• Posted

Hi Chico,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I actually lost the emails and just finally got a new one, which gave me the address of this site again. 

Wow,  you have been through the ringer.  The biggest problem for me is the realization that you don't know you have done too much until it's too late,  which is why I am so cautious.

Thank you for all of the advice, I will be looking into your suggestions! I hope you continue feeling well.

God bless

• Posted

hi chewy, ive had 3 fusions since 2009. L3-S1 in 09; T11-L2 in '10; and C3-5 in '17. ALL fusions are due to degenerative spinal osteoarthritus. Like you i experienced spinal stenosis and all the "fun" that comes with it.... With all three fusions all pain and symptoms immediatiately went away. i followed dr orders and swam laps, walked, and rode stationary bike for rehabilitation therapy. I am very active and even suffered a fall from my horse which broke 4 ribs and punctured my lung. but the dusions held strong! For the first 6mths i did not bend, twist or lift heavy objects , and wore my brace 24/7. All was well until father time caught up with me and i began having pain above the 2010 fusion . degeneration from arthritus. i was on pain meds for the arthritus (not fusions) but eventually they became ineffective. i now have an implanted pain pump but its not doing much good either. you may b being a little too cautious, but use the theory of "if it hurts" dont do it

• Posted

Hi Molly,

As I told Chico, I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I actually lost the emails and just finally got a new one, which gave me the address of this site again.

I asked my pain doctor about that pump, he said he was not convinced of its effectiveness, so I didn't get it. I've just remained on the Gabapentin for my nerve pain, I also take extra vitamin B for the nerve pain. I take Baclofen for the muscle spasms and Ketorolac when I'm in really bad pain or have a migraine.

I'm so sorry to hear that you're hurting and can't find any relief at all. I've been there and I understand, I think that's what puts the fear of messing up in me. I would rather miss out on activities than worry about the repercussions I may suffer later. I appreciate the times when I can sit and not be in pain.

I will definitely keep you in my prayers Molly.

God bless

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I just came across your article about your spinal fusion. I think you are wise in being cautious about sports that could be dangerous to your surgery. I am 72 years old but had been roller skating and then ice skating for years. I love skating! When you mentioned you no longer would ice skate or roller skate, it caught my eye.

Eleven years ago I had a spinal fusion at L 4 and L 5. I also had spinal stenosis and could not walk for more than 10 minutes when my legs would go numb. The surgery was done minimally invasive, but my insides had the titanium rods built and my next disk is weakening. it is like a domino effect. The doctor did say that after healing, I could go back to ice skating but not to fall!!

I didn't skate for months, then when I went back to it, I had lost all my muscle strength. I could no longer do what I used to do and it was as though I was a beginner again. It was the same thing with roller skating. I was so amazed at this, plus my balance is not as good at 72 years old. I fell twice and luckily did not hurt myself or my back. Then I had an episode of almost fainting. My husband feels that "something" is trying to warn me not to skate. I get mixed messages from the doctors. The exercise is great, but the risk of falling is inevitable. I know I could be fanatical about skating. Many people would skate with broken arms, etc. I want to skate so badly, but I too am afraid of the consequences. I feel lucky that I am pain free now when I see so many people my age in pain. I don't want to risk that pain again.

Your article made me feel that you are wise in deciding not to take chances. I'm not sure of your age, but you sound younger than I am. I think a gentle exercise and walking would be the best for you. Also, an exercise class to strengthen your core muscles.

Your Mother may mean well in wanting you to enjoy activities and not just sit around. There should be safer exercises that you can do.

I keep changing my mind every day about skating and am acting like a fool about it. I need to be careful at my age, and remember the fun times I had in the past.

I hope, Tina, that you have resolved your issues and your Mom now understands. I admire that you want to stay safe. Everyone is an individual and has to do what they feel is right for them. There is always the 80 or 90 year old who still skates, but perhaps they never stopped skating or were built differently with no back problems.

Your article has definitely helped me toward making up my mind not to skate. I can still go to watch the younger people skate and compete. I enjoy being there to cheer them on. I will continue to do this.

Good luck Tina and stay safe! Good luck to all people who have responded. it's awful to be in pain and we must be careful.

Sincerely,

Joanne

• Posted

Hello again, I see that your name is Trina and not Tina. I'm sorry I mispronounced your name.

I am on Ducolax for pain, but not sure if I really need it. However, this med is difficult to get off of. I will be talking to my doctor about it when I see him next week.

Take care of yourself and keep your good attitude.

Joanne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.