L5S1 Microdiscectomy 8 months ago...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, So I had my microdiscectomy back in April this year.....it was succesful and was pretty much instantly pain free (in my legs).

It has been 8 months and I haven't had any problems, and I am now 13 weeks pregnant, and noticing problems with my back and both legs i.e pins and needles...not all the time but mainly when I am sitting down, and I have a lower back ache near enough 95% of the time, this has only really come on this month and I haven't even got a baby bump yet! My surgeon did say that if I had any problems then to get my GP to refer me again, but don't want to go to the hassle if there is nothing actually wrong! x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

DONT NEGLECT BACK PAIN .GPs ARE PAYED TO DO A JOB.

ITS NOT WORTH THE RISK .IT MAY BE NOTHING BUIT IT MAY BE SOMETHINF.

I WOULD GET IT CHECKED OUT.

• Posted

Yes they are paid to a job but its a matter of who knows what. My back was operated on someone who was a neurosurgeon but he was trying out a new "thing" and after the operation it was dislodged. Look up "Inspace" for backs" if you are interested.   I know for a fact that he was inexperienced because I got to know the reps of Inspace and X Stop and both said that they stayed in the operating theatre to see that the widget was inserted correctly.  Obviously mine wasn't.  Now i am paying for it, both operations (I then paid for a decompression - no insurance) both have left scars and so the surgeon in Valencia says that this has left scars and that it will be dangerous for any operation. I could quite easily kill both surgeons.  I was and am in such pain but who and how do you know whether someone is capable of operating.  I was so desperate to have something done on both occasions. 

I lived in Cumbria at that time and there was no-one sufficiently qualified to do anything with backs. Maybe now but in 2004 there wasn't - when you could pick and choose where to go I did research and went to Middlesborough.   I had /x rays and MRIs, the Registrar read my details.   I then came face to face with the surgeon and he said - Looks like your back is first class.   I was so stunned I didn't say anything.  So nichola, get yourself to the dr pdq pins and needles usually mean that its a nerve - it maybe nothing but best go and see and I think when you are pregnant the weight could impinge on a nerve, Its too long ago to remember, but think this happened to me - so go to the dr...

• Posted

You should always be on the safe side. Last thing you want is severe back pain. And its certainly a long period of strain on your back for the 9 months.

But also being referred back to a surgeon can take its time so do it now so they can keep monitoring you x good luck hun.

• Posted

Ask your bloke to watch you doing a few calf raises on each leg to analyse your leg strength. As you know your leg muscles start to weaken when your sciatic nerve is being impinged.  

After a few months following my microdiscectomy, my hamstring pain started to ache again and I got worried. My physio, and I worked out it was because I was starting to do hamstring stretches again and it was irritating the nerve, so he gave me some different type of hamstring stertches to do (leg slightly bent instead of straight). He said the nerve repairs at 1mm a day from the operation. So dont panic.

Personally, I would pay top dollar and see a highly qualified physio not a GP.   

My surgeon did the op, but it was my physio that got me back to fitness.

• Posted

Don't think so chuck, I do exercises with my legs and there is no weakness at all. I have L4/5, L3/4 and the one below that i can't remember Sl/L3 is it?

I have such bad sciatica I could cry and there is not a thing I can do about it.  I only wish my nerves could repair.

I am not sure whether anyone knows this but they dished out Vit D because when I came to Spain I had a deficiency (although the UK had already tested it 1 year previously) but if its to strengthen my bones, does the Vit D do anything to the bone spurs that are driving my nerves mad?  Does it build more bone on bone or make the bone grow more.  I haven't a clue - I haven't dared take any more since thinking about it.  So much for the UK then eh?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.