Lab results

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with hashimotos and I am taking 25 mcg levothyroxine. The dr put me on meds in July and ran blood test in august. In august my levels were fine. I just went back on Thursday and had more bloodwork. The dr office posted my lab results on my patient portal. My TSH3UL is at 48.53. The Free T4 is .65 and Free T3 is 2.62. Does anyone know why the TSH is so high if the T4 and T3 are within range?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Has he up your medication from from 25 your TSH is very high
    • Posted

The Dr hasn't called me about my results yet. I just saw them posted on my patient portal online. I am assuming they are going to call me monday, if not I will call them. I am unsure if this medicine is even right for me and I was waiting for my lab results before I talked to the dr. about it. Since i started the medicine i have had mood swings, anxiety, i am emotional for no reason. It has been a roller coaster the last few months.

• Posted

Hi Kellye, when TSH is high, it indiicates how your pituitary is responding to the thyroxin levels and thyroxin activity in your body. 

First, with thyroid disease, "in range" does not necessarilt mean everything is ok. "In range" does not account for the other factors that affect reactivity of thyroxin, such as antibody levels, rT3, etc.  I can tell you that I have a giant thyroid cyst, and my blood work came back "normal" repeatedly. For you, it seems, your pituitary is screaming, "something's wrong" as it keeps sending the signal to produce more thyroxin.

You could get antibody tests and rT3 tests done, but antibody tests are notorious for false nevatives and in the end, you know you have a problem because all thyroid disease is autoimmune disease, so you're going to get funky antibodies involved.

I would ask you how the rest of your health is and look at whether you want to consider also treating the immune system. Unfortunately, immune disease is caused by toxicity, so meds (more chemicals) don't treat immune disease. Immune system treatment requires a naturopathic or other natural treatment.

Hope that helps explain things.

• Posted

Thank you for the information. I think they tested antibodies on my first set of labs done in July. I am looking at my chart online. July 15th they tested TPO AB and it came back as 149, stating less than 100 would be normal range. This particular test was not redone in august or February so I don't know what it is now. In July they tested thyroglobulin AB and that number came back as 1635. Normal range sates it shoukd be less than 343. This test also hasn't been repeated since July.

Health wise I would say I'm pretty healthy. My diet is so so and could probably use improving. thankfully I am not having any issues with weight. But since I began taking medicine I am experiencing moodineess, anxiety, gas, bloating, heartburn, hair thinning and days of extreme fatigue. You mentioned treating the immune system. Do you have any helpful tips or point me in the right direction? Google searching is stressing me out. The information is sometimes contradictory

• Posted

Trying to find helpful information is very overwhelming. I appreciate any advice.

Thank you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.