Lab results left me confused

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all - I have not yet been diagnosed with hemochromatosis.  I am hoping to get some advice from those who have personal experience with it.  I am a 33 year old female.  I have been having nerve and joint issues in my upper extremities, irregular periods, fatigue, headaches and dizziness for quite some time, all of which have been either ignored, attributed to anxiety, or explained away as related to something else benign.  

In 2016, my serum iron was 166 (up from 87 in 2015).  My Doctor wasn't really concerned, stating I live in a high altitude region and chalked it up to that.  My results from this Wednesday told a different story - my serum iron is now 263, transferrin saturation is 62% (2016 was 40.1%, 2015 was 22.4%).  However, my ferritin is low at 18 and my RBC's are low as well, but just under normal at 4.21.  TIBC and transferrin are normal.  As a side note and probably unrelated, my LDH is also low.  

I have an appointment this Friday with a new primary care physician but I am racking my brain and stressing myself out trying to figure this out on my own.  I am in the medical field and know just enough to be dangerous.  smile .

I suppose my questions are as follows-

1- Is there any other reason besides hemochromatosis that my saturation would be so high at 65%?

2- Has anyone had iron levels of 263 explained away due to being a female living at high altitude as my doctor is still trying to do?

2- Have any of you had experience with high iron and saturation %, but low to low-normal ferritin levels?

Thanks to all of you in advance.  I know I'm probably adding to my own anxiety by overthinking this.

Sarah

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Also, I have been on a strict vegan diet since September which makes the high iron even more curious.
  • Posted

Hi,

Just had a brief read, not sure what's going on but seems grossly normal. It's not haemochromatosis with a ferritin of that level, I would expect it to be higher. Although you are a menstruating woman, so maybe it could be. Even if it was though you wouldn't be going for venesection (the main treatment) as your ferritin is under 100 (or 50 if you prefer).

aa

• Posted

Your case sounds like mine!! I just posted a new post in the forum where u can see my iron level jumps in a month. Huge jumps but Ferritin really low. I've read a bit about iron avidity where your ferritin is low but you genetically have hemochromatosis... I'm a new celiac and I know celiac can mask hemochromatosis. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.