Labial fusion

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everybody! I am watching with horror what is happening to me underneath. The labia are fusing and really hurt when I inadvertently pull them apart. This morning I applied water whilst having a shower and my fingers must have dragged against them - it was as if someone had put a hot poker there. I have red raw patches and I always splash water on myself after having a wee as the urine stings/burns and then dab myself dry. I wash with Dermol and then apply Epaderm once dry. Itching is one thing but the physical changes are really disturbing. I am due to see gyny dermatologist on 28th but I don't really know what to ask - clitoris is exposed and rubbing, weeing is painful and now even simple washing is problematic. I have also had osteo-arthritis diagnosed along with hiatus hernia, possible glaucoma, cataracts, IBS and Barrat's Oesophagus - all since I turned 60 2 years ago.

Any suggestions/ideas which I can put to my gyny (sorry, I forgot to mention the atrophied vagina!) would be welcome as desperation is setting in. Help!

Happy Easter fellow sufferers!

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Barking

I'm so sorry to hear how terrible you feel with these wretched auto-immune diseases. There are so many of them nowadays it's hard to keep up and no-one seems to know what's causing them.  Regarding Lichen S though, it seems that sufferers have to find what suits them best as everyone is different. What works for one may not work for another, but basically the most important and effective treatment is to use Dermovate or similar (steroid cream) for a few months, tapering off very slowly from twice a day to once or twice a week for maintenance. Use only a pea-sized amount - more is better.  It really is a miracle treatment so don't be afraid of it.  In between it is important to keep well moisturised and people use anything from Vaseline or emu oil, or coconut oil or even nappy cream! The aim is to keep urine from touching the sore areas, so it may be a good idea to use a squirt bottle of water straight after weeing to cleanse the are.  As to the loss of architecture, some doctors will give you oestrogen cream which can defuse the skin, but this depends on your doctor and your hormones.  There Is a very good LS self-help group at Yahoo Groups - Lichen Sclerosis, which has no end of very helpful tips and advice. It really was a life-saver for me.  I wish you all the luck in the world and please rest assured - LS is very manageable with patience.  My best wishes.

annie

• Posted

Thanks Annie for moral support and advice which I will follow up. It is egood to know that despite feeling wretched, people are out there who understand and who take the time to suggest things to make life a little easier. Thank you so very much. Best wishes from me too!
    • Posted

I use double base gel to wash with and when I have been to toilet I pat dry then put some double base gel on a tissue must be white tissue and pat on 

this was told to me by myngyneocologist  and I use Emuvate using the same method as Annie 

i also have a collapsed bladder  for which I am awaiting a new pessary to hold this up 

I do pelvic floor excercise so three times daily 

and I never wear underwear or trousers or tights 

again advice from my Gyneocologist 

as Anniebsays we have to try what suits us 

but I used to squirt with water as I had the same problem as you burning urine  this I told the gyneo and she advised I use the double base gel 

this can be purchased in chemists and google it and find other suppliers 

I receive mine on prescription 

I find itexcellent

janette  

• Posted

Sorry Barking.

I meant "more is NOT better" when using steroid cream!

annie

• Posted

Hi Barking

So sorry to hear of all your problems. Apart from making sure you get a prescription for a steroid cream (eumovate, betnovate or dermovate - various different strengths) it is worth checking if anything you are using has an ingredient to which you are allergic. I am allergic to lanolin, so check for that, and anything else that is in all the things you are using.

I had to try eumovate which didn't work, and then betnovate which did, and a variety of different moisturising creams, until I found cetra ben which works like magic for me. It's trial and error I'm afraid.

• Posted

Thank you Chrissie for your good suggestions. It is a nightmare trying to find something which works without setting off an allergy and your comment reminded me of what I should be asking. Thanks for your time, trouble and support!
  • Posted

go to your doctores sounds like you have infection down there you will need  antibotics i had the same few weeks ago. And had to have treatment  it worked within 48 hours good luck barking
  • Posted

For immediate relief I would recommend using Lippu oil. (not cream) This will keep the labia from bonding to one another ad soothe and calm the inflammation and stop any itching and soreness. You need to do all you can to strengthen and balance the immune system. Fresh veg (particularly greens) salads, drink plenty of water. Wash with Charika soap, It has not animal components. Take swedish bitter, it helps to maintain the acid alkaline balance in the body, which in turn aids the immune system All disease needs an acid environment to flourish. Cut out all refined foods, especially highly sugared or salty foods. But, the oil should give you immediate relief. I am a professional therapist and teacher, and have been treating myself for Lichen Planus for the past few weeks. I have no more discomfort, although I am still continuing the work on strengthening my immune system. See a good hloistic therapist and get some treatment for stress and your IBS etc. These are all stress related and indications of a weak immune system. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Jane.
  • Posted

Hi Barking I have read the others comments and concur with them, however you may also  want to try an old fashion remedy for making your urine less acidic- try barley water- Drink A LOT of clear fluids this will help to dilute the urine too. The less you drink the more concentrated the urine . You may have some cystitis making you have a burning sensation- is the urine cloudy/ smelly? if so take a sample to the GP/nurse and ask them to test it- or send it away. And as important in my view is to try and reduce the stress in your life- or perhaps your attitude to bad things that make you feel stressed Because I am sure that the unwanted cortisol streaming around our bodies exaberbates the problems - pecker up - try pouring luke warm water over your self when on the loo- it may soothe you..Good luck and feel better soon

Sue

• Posted

Many thanks for the good advice Suedm, Jane and Jean. Apart from all the ideas from everybody, it is great to know the warmth and support from all in this forum. I will try a lot of the suggestions and keep you posted but thank you for giving me such encouragement at such a nasty time. Happy Easter one and all!
  • Posted

Hi Barking,

This sounds like me before my diagnosis last summer. Before that I would never have imagined I'd be singing the praises of a steroid medication, but you need a prescription for Derovate (Clobetasol in North America) as soon as possible. When I had my crisis, my labia had just finished fusing over my clitoris and there grew a great, painful boil right there. I went to emergency after it popped. He precribed antibiotics, noticed the 'atrophy' and referred me to the gynae who diagnosed LS on sight, no doubt, no biopsy. At the time I had painful rows of fine fissures along the creases around my labia. As soon as I got my presription it all started to calm down.

I'm 62 and have had LS (lumped in with psoriasis, never noticed by multiple gynaes). I do think it gets worse at our age. It can suddenly start moving fast, so there's no time to try alternatives to the steroid cream. It's for life.

Do use lots of oily creams and ointments as well.  No soap.

I believe all these auto-immune things are thanks to our poisoned world. We're the first generation to live our whole life in the soup. Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you'll get comfortable soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.