Labral tear without clicking?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have pain in my outer hip area and at night it hurts a lot in the groin area. Doing some research, it seems it could be a labral tear but I do not have catching or clicking. This has been going on for over 20 years getting progressively worse. It started when we were rollerblading. The pushing movement hurt so I gave that up. Then did line dancing and the stepping to the side hurt so I gave that up. Now, just walking hurts. I've seen a couple of ortho Drs and no one seems to know what it is. I've also seen pain management and that did not help either. Had an injection into the hip that did not help. Had an injection into my back. That did not help. Pain is getting worse. Pain in groin at night keeping me awake. Latest Dr said not bursitis as pressing on bursa caused no pain. Dr also said it's not my hip. I suspect labral tear. Suggestions?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have similar problems in both left and right hips -pain in groin and middle and outer side of hips then had an mri which showed a labral tear in both hips (please note the written mri results did not find labral tears but a hip surgeon found them on the mri scan and showed me then I too could easily see them myself???) but these days I am now getting clicking in both left and right hips and just the other day I had severe catching horrific pain in my right side, which made me remember it once happened about 20 years before but without the catching feeling so I am going back to find out what to do, my uneducated guess based on what it actually feels like is this- I think I have had labral tears for years but now I am 62 the trouble is starting the next question is do I go for labral surgery-google research says if arthritus has started forget it, in my case I have very good bones but age is against me so I will try to be wise in my decision, hope this info is useful to someone.

• Posted

The MRA did not show anything, but when the Dr was showing the images, he said we were looking for white spots and I did see one area. But report said all was good. He then gave me a steroid injection. He questioned me on if I had seen anyone about my back. I told him no but that I had had an EMG and it showed clear for my leg. Then he said if the steroid injection didn't work it was either a back Dr or a scope to see what is going on. I had the injection and was told to come back in 6 weeks. Well, in 2 days I go back. The injection did not work, at all. In fact, to begin with, it was a lot worse. Now back to hurting when I'm up and active or sitting straight up, like on the pew at church. I do not know what the next step is. The pain isn't awful, just progressively worse. I am 61 but do not have arthritis and the Dr is willing to operate if needed. I don't know which to choose if given the choice. I hope you get somewhere with your problem.

• Posted

HI, thanks for replying, as far as I know steroid injections take some time to work as they stop the natural nflammation trigger inside us and then we wait for the existing inflammation to be removed by the body so that after some time perhaps a number of weeks the inflammation is gone supposedly making it easier for us to move more freely unless pain happens in which case it is wise to avoid pain to prevent injury.

I do know that an mri using a 3 tesla powered mri shows much clearer than the older 1.5 tesla mri machine, with my very limited guesswork it does sound like hip problem perhaps a tear as sitting up and leaning forward a little on the edge of a seat makes a labral tear more pronounced-perhaps try researching which positions will cause a labral tear to be more noticable as it does sound strange to put a scope in or to operate without being more clear as to the specific problem, all the best.

• Posted

I saw the Dr today. He said from my description it sounds like a tendon tear. He wants to go in with a scope and see if he's right. Fix the tear and any other problems that are going on. He wants to do this next month. He says hips are hard to figure out and MRI not always accurate. I hope he's right.

• Posted

Hi, I hope he is right too, perhaps if you havnt already you could research on google which positions and movements would pinpoint a tendon tear versus a labral tear and try them- all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.