Labrinthectomy.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have had vertigo since 2001 and numerous interventions, some working for a while.  I initially starting. with anti-nausea medications.  Saw my neurologist who suggested lamotregine (for migrtaine headaches, thought did not have them) and valium.  Both medications seem to have worked, until vertigo episodes began again.  Saw several ENTS who were not able to help.  Then was referred to an OTOLOGIST (avanced ENT) who started with steroid shots, then did a lymphatic sac decompression which worked for over two years.  Then the vertigo started all over again.  In the meantime loss my hearing entirely in left ear, subsequently fitted with a chochlear implant.  Vertigo continued; began with gentamicin regimine which seemed to work for a couple of months.  Had a series of three shots, still experiencing vertigo.  Doctor said perhaps next step might be a labrinthectomy.  Has any one gone through these many steps in attempting to get rid of Meniere's?  Has anyone had a labrinthectomy, and how has that held up?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ben,

I am a 51-year-old male and I had the Labyrinthectomy in November of last year. I had been through all of the treatments barring gent injections, including having a shunt put in. I was on a low sodium diet and at one point was under 1000 milligrams of sodium a day. That is not an easy task. As vertigo can go dormant for a while, I don't feel any of them did any good prior to the Laby. When I awoke from the surgery the spinning was the worst I had ever experienced and all I wanted to do was sleep. I was told I would be in the hospital for 3 to 4 days and I was out in 30 hours. The recovery at home consisted of no TV for day one as I couldn't get the screen to stop moving. By day two it was holding onto walls and furniture when I walked, but I could watch TV. I did not have to use the walker that I was told I would likely need. When you get the hang of walking indoors you think you have it beat, but walking outdoors is a whole new ballgame. Your eyes want to jump (for lack of a better term) and things look a bit unstable. I was told that I would be off of work for 8 to 10 weeks and I was back in 6 weeks and probably could have gone back in 5. I drove myself the 30 minutes to get there with no problems. I have a desk job doing design work, so it isn't like I have to do a lot of moving. Losing the hearing in one ear is a bit of a pain, but I wish I would have had the surgery years ago. I do not have 100% of the balance I had, but it is easily manageable. I can play golf badly, but I wasn't any good before the surgery. :-) 

I was told there would be 100% chance that I would not have any vertigo ever again and so far that has been the case. I had vertigo for many years and mid last year it had gotten to the point that it was daily if not several times a day and I had to stop driving for months. I have to Uber to work and back at $70 a day. The fear of not knowing when the next attack would be was always the worst part of MD. The thought of "will I be dizzy now" crossed my mind about every 20 seconds and at one point put me in a deep depression that I am sure many MD sufferers can relate to. I no longer have that fear and I feel like I have gotten my life back.

Good luck to you Ben and feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

MD is scary and depressing and I would love to help anyone that I can get through it.

Darin

• Posted

As noted to my response to Wendy above, I'm requesting a labrinthectomy when I see my doctor next month.  I'm hoping he'll agree that's the route to go.  The anticipation of when a vertigo episode will occur is the most depressing.  Thank you, Darin.

• Posted

How often you get vertigo, once a week, once a month or everyday?

When you dont have vertigo, can you walk in a straight line?

• Posted

Wow, I can’t wait to get to a stage where I feel the way you do! 

It’s so encouraging to hear your story. 

I am 30, a nurse and a single mum, my life is hell. Work is barely possible, I can’t take my daughter to school as can’t drive and I can’t walk that distance. My poor daughter actually wrote in a poem that she’s worried I will never get better. I can’t wait to show her this when she is home from school today! 

Thank you for sharing the positivity 😊

• Posted

I wish you the best. 

Let me know if I can answer any questions that you may have.

😃👍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.