Labrum repair five weeks ago - still in extreme pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my labrum in my right shoulder repaired arthroscopically exactly five weeks ago today. I first dislocated the shoulder about 15 years ago. I did PT at that time and was generally fine. I still had some pain and weakness if I overdid it throwing or lifting, but nothing major. About three months ago, I took one swing at the driving range, felt an immediate sharp pain, and then did not have much function and had a ton of pain at all times. I had a 6-12 tear in the posterior labrum repaired with three anchors five weeks ago. I stayed in the sling for four weeks and have had one PT session, and I have not done anything to it that makes me think I could have damaged the repair. Nonetheless, the pain has been beyond belief at all times. I cannot believe how bad it is, and nothing helps. I cannot let the arm just hang at the side for long without things feeling like theyre going to rip out of place, and the slightest movement hurts. The doctor and the PT do not seem concerned at all, but I cant believe how bad it is. Has anyone had a similar experience that turned out to be okay?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

HI Ntglty29,

I am currently 4 1/2 weeks post op from a Labrum repair and bicep tinodesis. I went into the operation very very anxious as all I had read and talked to about the procedure described the pain after the procedure as being excruciating. Probably what your feeling unfortunately.

To be honest my whole experience so far has been better than had thought it would be. The pain was bad for the first two days but not as bad as I thought. My shoulder could hang ok whilst in the shower and dressing with only slight pain. After a week or so I had cut my pain medication down considerably to a point now where I have had no pain medication at all for two full days.

My stay in hospital was overnight as they did a nerve block on my arm and wanted to make sure I was ok with the meds etc. My rehab program started the day I got home.

I went back to an office job after 13 days without to much discomfort and back into my own job a week after that. All without to much of a problem.

I was allowed to ditch the sling after 4 weeks, which was 2 days ago, and the most discomfort from doing that has been from the muscles around my shoulder blade etc readjusting to the weight of my shoulder.

I still get those moments were I think I have damaged the repair, its just who I am, but deep down I know I haven't as the surgeon said it would take a significant event like a bad fall etc for that to happen.

If you or anyone else wants to follow my progress from getting the diagnosis right through until now and into the future until I can play golf again you can do so on Instagram by searching for my forum name. It's a bit amateurish but it might provide people with some confidence that people do have a positive experience with this procedure.

All the best,

Paul

• Posted

I am glad you are doing well. Mine is such an excruciating disaster that I can't believe it. Range of motion is improving pretty rapidly through PT, but the pain just never stops. The surgeon and PT don't seem concerned, but it's hard to imagine this is normal. Hopefully it gets better.

• Posted

I just looked at your insta. Holy s**t! I definitely cannot move my arm like that.

• Posted

I went to my first hands on physio appointment last 5 days ago. The physio told me that I was about 2 weeks ahead of schedule with my current range of movement. He was however very quick to stress that this is not a race and not to overdo my rehab.

Overall I was very happy with the first session. The new rehab program is not as long now that I'm out of the sling. I'll be posting that to Instagram tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.