Labrum Slap Tear and Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello All,

I've been researching this for quite some time and came across this website which seemed active. I injured my shoulder playing basketball 4 months ago. I have been doing PT for quite some time and eventually got an MRI. The results showed a Slap Tear Type 2. I went in to see the orthopedics and after checking my range of motion, he mentioned that I also have a Frozen Shoulder. He mentioned that it we should not perform a surgery for the Slap Tear until the frozen shoulder is better. He gave me a cortisone shot and recommended to continue two months of PT.

I was reading up on frozen shoulders and if it does not get better, surgery is required. My question is doesn't it make sense to get the surgery asap and begin rehab for both the frozen shoulder and the slap tear surgery? This way I don't waste twice the time.

I am an active guy, late 20's. I miss working out, playing basketball, and being active. I was hoping to get a surgery soon and start rehabbing but it seems like its going to be a longer process. Does any one have any experience with Slap Tear and Frozen Shoulder? Any Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear AJ,

I had surgery for a Slap tear and THEN got a frozen shoulder. It has been terrible. I am almost eight months post-op and I am finally about 90% back ROM, maybe only 30% strength... This is with PT 2-3x's a week, EVERY week since 6wks after surgery... This is a ton of PT! I have also been dry needling and I am about to try cryotherapy.

My advice to you is - get the whole thing repaired sooner than later. Every day you continue to let your muscles around the injury compensate or atrophy and my opinion - this is where further damage is done. I am not a doctor, but this has been my experience. You are too young for this to become a permanently debilitating injury for you!

Hockey Mom

• Posted

That was my though process too. I was thinking to get it all done at once but the orthopedic surgeon recommends that I take care of the frozen shoulder before we do the surgery for the Slap Tear
    • Posted

I agree that the surgery itself did not "cause" frozen shoulder, but I lay down scar tissur very quickly (had a similar experience with a knee surgery) and after six weeks in a sling; the shoulder was frozen. This has been confirmed by my Orthopedic Surgeon AND my PT (who is also a Fellow in Sports Rehabilitation and a doctor). This may be why AJ's doctor is recommending that he try to work out the frozen shoulder before surgery because most likely - it will still be frozen after surgery... Either way, he has to do the therapy, so I recommend that he get the damage fixed. A typical frozen shoulder can take a year or more to work out!

• Posted

Please ask your PT to contribute to this forum and explain about the diagnosis of frozen shoulder after injury or surgery.
  • Posted

Many believe and it seems the case that surgery does not resolve frozen shoulder. People on here who have had surgery followed by PT are reporting 90% ROM at 1 yr or more post Op and PT which is the average for people who do nothing. I opted out of surgery and PT and have regained 90% ROM at 1 yr. it's a long process but it is self eliminating.

• Edited

AJ

You do not have a frozen shoulder. You are too young.

• Posted

I thought so too... it can occur after injury which i had after playing basketball
    • Posted

Absolutely not true. There is a 16 year old boy at my clinic with Frozen Shoulder. He is a baseball pitcher. Very common among athletes and people who have had surgery...
    • Posted

Very common no, impossible yes. Frozen shoulder is a disease unto itself and only occurs in middle age, never before and never after. It is never caused by injury. You can see why the injured on this forum are not getting the treatment they deserve,
    • Posted

Well, injury or surgery can result in PSS, postoperative stiff shoulder, which can present like frozen shoulder in how it limits ROM and causes pain, but it is a different etiology. Doctors do call PSS a form of frozen shoulder but it does not follow the 3 typical phases of freezing and thawing like idiopathic frozen shoulder does. And PSS may not resolve completely on its own. The typical timeframe is that if it isn't showing good improvement after six months of effort then surgical intervention may be warranted. It is a nepharious issue that doctors cannot definitively diagnose.  

• Posted

Are you a doctor? Just curious, because my Orthopedic Surgeon and PT (who is a Fellow in Sports Rehabilitation) disagree. I asked my PT yesterday. She insists that Frozen Shoulder can occur at any age and that it is often brought on by injury or surgery. Don't want to argue. Mine seems to be resolved - took about eight months (I am middle aged). It occurred after I came out of the sling post-op. My PT says it is because I did not get my ROM back quickly enough - so the shoulder "froze up". I would hope nobody on here is using this site for "medical advice". That would not be very intelligent. I came on here to see if others had similar timelines as me and to get any new ideas to ask my doctor about (therapies, treatments, exercises, etc.). It was validation to see others struggling with the same pain, lack of sleep, etc.

• Posted

This response was for "Frozen Stiiff", Lessr Tuberosity makes great points about PSS. That could be what I had. Improve was hard and slow - still improving...

• Edited

You are right, injury and surgery to the shoulder will cause loss of range in a joint as wlil say wearing a sling with a shoulder condition. You are absolutely correct that doctors and now even therapists call any long lasting stiffnes a frozen shoulder. Now all true blue frozen shoulder recover pain wise but may in the end loose a few degrees of movement. Again FS 45 years to 60 years. No injury. Slow onset over a few months. Severe pain and lose or range, i e so much abduction, more medial rotation and the largest loss lateral rotation. Injuries and surgical cases may or may not recover fully but FS always do, often in spite of aggresive treatments.

I shall reply reply to Sharon soonest and let her know I am not a doc and never have been!

• Posted

No, the 16 year old was diagnosed with FS by someone who does not understand.
    • Posted

No doctor! Your PT is wrong, ask her to explain on this forum.

Fs is a genetic condition, came from the Vikings and spread to where the childrens children of Vikings went.

Almost certainly no African Americans, Chinese, Inuit or Cambodians or Somalies with FS or DuPuytrens contractures or fibromatosis of the foot. The sister diseases of FS.

I educate myself with MOOCs like Coursera and learn as much as I can about any condition I have.

Remember three groups doctors learn almost nothing about, nutrition exercise and musculoskeletal injuries. Luckily they are hot shots in most life threatening conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.