Labrynthitis and flying help!?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering with Labrynthitis now for 6 months... I am due to fly overseas in 4 months as I'm getting married overseas. Well in the early stages of lab (when we didn't know what was wrong with me) I was due to fly overseas but as soon as the cabin started to pressurise, all my symptoms worsened severely and I had to get off the plane! That was 5 months ago but I'm really stressed about it occurring again the next time I get on a plane. Reason being my symptoms have not slowed down, apart from the vertigo seems to have dropped off (thank god). Other things have gotten better through VTR like my balance, but visual disturbance has worsened.

My question is; has anyone with Lab successfully flown anywhere and if so, how was your experience? Did your symptoms get better after take off? Did you have to be on any drugs like Valium? Or did you wear any pressurising helping ear plugs?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If I were you I'd take Valium about an hour before the flight and more during the flight depending on the length of travel. Also wearing ear plugs could probably help. I wouldn't risk having issues since its your wedding - congrats!!
  • Posted

Hi, I've flown heaps of times and never had a problem in flight. The only issue I have is when I get off the plane I am walking like a drunk for a couple of hours and a little lightheaded.  I don't know how long your flight will be.  But with this condition we all react in different ways to stimuli, so you have to judge what is best for you. What about a relaxation tape or learning to meditate? Apparently meditations irks wonders for this condition. I practise Alexander Technique for 20 mins a day which is a relaxation exercise aimed at aligning neck and spine. I've found this does help me, but as I say, we are all different with the way we react. For me I wouldn't take drugs, but I don't take drugs for anything and that's just me.  Don't know about ear plugs. I've never found them any use for anything other than noise so they could help if noise is a stimulus that upsets your equilibrium and makes the labrynthitis worse. So up to you.  Not sure how long your flight is but good luck with it and enjoy your wedding. Christine
    • Posted

Thanks Christine,

I've been using meditation and yoga as a way to combat the anxiety and panic that has hoped on board during this illness, but I've never stumbled across the Alaxandar Technique so I will try that one.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of drugs either. I'm a control freak and that extends to having control over my mind as well. Hopefully I can lessen the symptoms before getting back on the plane to avoid having to take them.

• Posted

Just an update: it looks as though the dr is going to drug me up for the flights due to it being my wedding! I'm very fearful of even stepping back on a plane again. Before this happened, flying was my favourite way to travel. Now I'm petrified. They say it's like PTSD because of how dramatic it was having to get off the plane via ambulance officers, hearing the captain ask if there were any medical staff on the plane to assist me, I have nightmares about it and panic attacks... All because a dr said there was nothing wrong with me and sent me on a plane with Labrynthitis in its early stages...
  • Posted

Update:

The dr did prescribe me Valium for the flights however I decided to only take 1/2 of one tablet for the first flight to see how it would go.

Turns out I was fine. Mild discomfort but nothing major. I still continued to have a lot of anxiety leading up to each flight due to the past experience but still only took 1/2 a tablet. I'm confident that in time in therapy, I will be able to fly without anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.