Labrynthitis or something more serious

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago with labrynthitis, it started after a bad cold dizziness and vomiting. Doc prescribed me  stemetil for the nausea but they made my anxiety worse. I stopped taking them and persevered but by this time the pressure in my head was out of controll. I returned to gp and he was sure that it was still labs, he prescribed me serc and assured me it would pass. I was frightened to take them as I read that these tablets can delay recovery so tried to get on with life without them. The pain in the back of my head and neck along side the pressure builds up as the day goes on and is intolerable. I just returned from another gp app, I am being referred for ct scan but a 6 week waiting list. My mother had a brain tumour so I am sick with worry that this is what I have. When I read of others lab symptoms it’s mostly dizziness and vomiting but I no longer feel to dizzy it’s more a pressure in the back of my head and neck. Would love to hear back from others with similar experiences.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kerry. So sorry to hear about the way you're feeling but please be reassured that the pressure you are feeling in your head is pretty standard albeit ****** awful!!! After almos three years of vestibular problems I feel pretty qualified to say so. I have a meningioma which ( in case you don't know) is a ( hopefully) benign tumour in the covering of the brain ( the meninges). Obviously I was concerned that this is what has caused or at least contributed to my problems. Fortunately, two different neurologists have told me that it is definitely not a neurological problem. I hope that you will be one of the lucky ones whose symptoms fizzle out eventually. I first had labrynthitis 15 years ago and after 5 weeks it virtually disappeared. Unfortunately for me , following a flight to Spain I had another bout of the same or similar which has never completely disappeared. Still, I live in hope. It's ok to take Serc in the short term but you are quite right not to rely on it as it will hinder the rehabilitation process if you do. You sound like a strong willed determined lady to me so I'm sure all will be well. Just be patient but most of all,as awful as this is ; remember IT WON'T KILL YOU even though you may think it MUST be something sinister. Been there, read the book,seen the film and got the tee shirt!! All the very best. X

• Posted

Hivlynnie thsnkyou got your reply. I’m sorry to hear of your experience. Did you also get pressure in the back of your head/neck ? It sometimes travels to the crown of my head also I just can’t put pressure on it st all. Have you ever been able to fly again? Xx
    • Posted

I feel as though the pressure is now in my neck and throat area, it’s surreal. Fizz again tonight when I put pressure on my head just feel I need some answers xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.