Labrynthitus

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok so been googling labrynthitus quite a bit over the past week or so and have convinced myself this is what I have! The current symptoms exactly match what I am feeling right now Have been to a doctor but he wasn't sure it could be this.

So about 3 weeks ago I started getting these 'episodes' where I would come over very lightheaded and was convinced I was about to faint,This seem to come and go until the dizziness set in and then in the last week flu like symptoms including a nasty cough and today a blocked ear!

I also have extreme fatigue at the moment which personally I find the most frustrating

Part to this whole condition.

I have also been suffering a fair bit of anxiety due to all of the above.

Now just fed up and hoping it all passes soon!

Also I have read it a fair few places that it can be brought on by the same virus as chickenpox which my 4 year old son has just had.

Has anyone else been through this?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Hun. I'm 7 weeks in with what my dr thinks is labyrinthitis. My symptoms started like yours. Thinking I was about to faint a few times then on Mother's Day (uk) i came over dizzy and it's been constant pretty much since! I feel constantly drunk/off balance and feel like I'm looking at the world through beer goggles. I'm exhausted constantly too, I've had to leave work for now as I don't know when I'll be better. I'm a single mum to 4 kids too so I have to keep going. I'm better than I was initially in that I'm not bed ridden and vomiting but this off balance feeling is horrid. Yours sounds like labs or vestibular neuritis to me. Could well be the pox virus that's set it off or could just be you were run down and had a virus with no symptoms. Xxx
  • Posted

Oh and my anxiety is off the chart too so you're not alone xx
    • Posted

It's horrible isn't it :-( i seriously wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!

Do you have good days and bad days? Days you feel like it might be going and then it rears it's ugly head again!

To be fair I've had the dizziness but not such much the nausea which is something to be thankful for!

• Posted

Yes very much so. I find when my kids and boyfriend are about I'm not too bad but on my own I just want to lie on the sofa and keep as still as I can. I've not had much nausea, I had one bad spin out of the blue last week which knocked me sick and in the beginning I felt very sick. I can't drive at the moment as I don't feel well enough and by this time of the evening I just want to go to bed! Are you on Facebook? There's a fab group on there called labyrinthitis support, everyone is so lovely and it helps knowing you aren't the only one going through it. Xxxx
    • Posted

Yeah I will have to go have a look at that on Facebook thanks :-)

Yeah I find when I'm doing things I'm fine it's when I stop and relax that the symptoms come.

And mornings are worse than evenings ! All I want to do is sleep!! X

• Posted

I'm bad in the evenings when I'm really tired. My wooziness/dizziness is there from the minute I open my eyes to when I close them again. My head feels tight if that makes sense??? I've got tinnitus too, which I can live with, it's the exhaustion and not being able to plan from one day to the next how I'll be that drives me crazy! Xxx
    • Posted

Know how you feel!! I hate going out where there's lots if people at the mo in case I come over all funny!

I think the best advice I've seen about it is to just get on with life (which is hard!!) not let the symptoms get the better of you and eventually it will go! X

• Posted

Yeah that's pretty much what my GP said. Are you on any meds for it? I'm taking betahistine. I held off taking anything but we are at a big wedding in just over a week and it's REALLY stressing me out! I'm so scared of being ill on the day as my boyfriend is best man!! I try to carry on as normal but it is important to rest too so your body can heal. Ginger and gingko biloba are fab for inner ear issues. I can't take them due to my anxiety meds but maybe give them a go?? Xx
    • Posted

Cool I ll have a look!

Not really taken anything apart from

Nurofen for when I feel bad and it seems to subside the symptoms for a little while!

However right now I feel like I could sleep for a week and feel like I have flu like symptoms x

• Posted

Get as much rest as you can, drink plenty and eat regularly. I get flu like symptoms, achy joints, stuffy nose/ears, extreme fatigue. It's all part of it I'm afraid! Xxx
    • Posted

So good to talk to someone else with this!!

My appetite seems to be fine and I'm drinking lots of water which does actually seem to help!

Is there anything else you can recommend? X

• Posted

Try to push yourself a bit, even when you don't feel up to it. Allow yourself rest but don't just sit round or it will take you longer to get better. I'd also go back to your dr, tell him what you think it is and ask for an ENT referral for a definitive diagnosis. Xxx
    • Posted

Yep thanks will do! Hope you feel better soon :-)
    • Posted

Dot forget to join us in the group on Facebook :-) xx
    • Posted

Add me, Barbara Masters and I'll add you :-) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.