labs not consistent with HH

Posted , 4 users are following.

Had bone marrow biopsy in 2016 due to chronic leukopenia.  Only abnormality was no iron in bone marrow and was told I would eventually become anemic and taking iron may help.  Last November, iron studies abnormal (elevated ferritin, iron saturation, decreased TIBC) so I stopped the iron.  Still was taking multivitamin with iron until I was in iron overload in January.   Stopped multivitamin and reviewed  23 and me results which showed that I have 2 c282y mutations.  Liver biopsy showed stage 3 iron deposition but hepatic iron index was only 1.2.  Labs improved after stopping the multivitamin but based on the liver biopsy I started phlebotomy treatments.  My doctor seemed to think it was just a matter of getting the excess iron out that I had been taking; however, since having my first phlebotomy my ferritin level is now normal but by iron saturation has increased to 87%.  My hematologist says that my labs are not presenting like a typical hemochromatosis patient and he is looking for some "iron guru" that may not even exist to send me to.  Otherwise he is going to refer me to another hematologist because he does not understand what is going on with my iron saturation, also my neutrophil count is down to 800.  I'm scared that every day that passes my liver is getting worse and worse.  Ive researched a ton and cannot find any explanation as to why my iron stauration percentage is so high but my ferritin is normal.  Anyone have any explanations or now of any "iron gurus" in the US; preferrably near Michigan?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you could ask centers of excellence like the Mayo Clinic and Johns Hopkins if they could suggest any experts in unusual iron disorders?  The Finberg lab at Yale, which does research into the genetics of iron disorders, might be another place to get suggestions on experts who are nearer to you.

Ferritin reflects two things:  inflammation and body tissue iron stores, and your ferritin is now normal, so that’s good.  On the other hand, blood iron saturation - also called transferrin saturation because the iron in the blood is carried by transferrin (“iron-carrying”) molecules - tells how much iron is being carried in the blood stream.  People with two C282Y mutations absorb iron more efficiently than usual, and the rate of iron absorption becomes even more efficient when the body is low on iron.  Therefore, I wonder if by reducing your body iron stores, phlebotomy increased your absorption of iron and thus increased the amount of iron being carried in your bloodstream.

If you lived in France, I'd suggest checking with the Service des Maladies du Foie and Centre National de Référence des Surcharges en Fer Rares (Liver Disease Service and National Center of Reference for Rare Iron Overload Diseases) in Rennes, France.  Dr. Edouard Bardou-Jacquet and his colleagues from that group just published a paper in Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology in 2017 reporting that phlebotomy for hemochromatosis will get ferritin back down to normal but it doesn’t get transferrin saturation back to normal in everybody.  The authors say in this paper that, “phlebotomies induce recurrent phases of iron hyperabsorption with increased transferrin saturation through the decrease of hepcidin production secondary to bursts of erythropoiesis.”  (Roughly translated into English:  when blood is taken away, the body gets busy taking as much iron as it can out of the bloodstream to make more hemoglobin to replace the lost red blood cells.  While the body is doing this, it also *reduces* its production of the “don’t-absorb-any-more-iron-please” hepcidin protein, which in turn makes the body absorb *more* iron into the bloodstream, which is then reflected by an increase in transferrin saturation.) 

Later on in the same paper, it says that other research has shown similar findings in people with myelodysplastic syndromes – and you mention that your white blood cell count is low.  So, *if* your doctor thinks your white blood cell count is low because of a myelodysplastic disorder, another idea might be to see if you or your doctor can find an expert in myelodysplasia who is also familiar with its effects on iron metabolism?   

I hope some of this is helpful -

• Posted

Very well explained, GillianA.  The Rennes group of researchers are my current favourites for up to date information on HH.

• Posted

He doesn’t think there is a correlation.  The white blood cell stuff presented first and the myelodysplasia FISH of bone marrow was normal.  But thank you for your response.  Your information is very helpful
    • Posted

I looked Rennes up - it's a city in the east of Brittany in northwestern France at the confluence of the Ille and the Vilaine rivers.

Here are the author affiliations from the paper I mentioned above, all based in Rennes:

*CHU Rennes, Service des Maladies du Foie and Centre National de Référence des Surcharges en Fer Rares, Rennes, France;

‡INSERM, CIC 1414, Rennes, France;

§University of Rennes 1, Faculty of Medicine, Rennes, France;

kCHU Rennes, Service de Rhumatologie, Rennes, France; and

¶INSERM UMR 991, Rennes, France

• Posted

Hi Gillian. This is interesting. 01/17 my iron was almost 2000 & sf105% .After a year of weekly phlebs I came down to 39 & 44% so they stopped my phlebs. But at my check up in March my sf had gone up to 88% my iron just 44. So I’m due to have 2 phlebs 3 weeks apart to bring iron to 30 as consultant says my body can cope with that, he doesn’t know why’s has gone up. I have 2xc282y and because I was undiagnosed for 60 yrs! I have stage 3 cirrhosis which has now stabilised. I stopped my self  supplements when iron was low but have since started taking them to see if they made the difference ( no proof) I take curcummin, NAC , alpha lypoic acid, ubiquinol & milk thistle. In London there is HH meeting so am going to attend that on 14th April. It’s a problem that HH has not been known or investigated for long so it’s all in progress. ?? My consultant said for him the only way to reduce iron is phlebs treatment ! 

• Posted

Based on Gillian’s response we both could be having unnecessary phlebotomies.  My hematologist even said he may be treating me with phlebotomy which may not even be helpful. That is why he is looking elsewhere to send me to but in the mean time is still ordering phlebotomy as long as my iron saturation is above 30
  • Posted

Jessica, I had a personal experience with Prof Pierre Brissot, a well known HH researcher in Rennes, France.  He was a key note speaker at a HH conference I attended.

One of the matters he spoke of was the relationship of TS% and ferritin levels during vx treatment.  He presented a chart with ferritin levels starting at a high level on top left side reducing down to required level on right bottom corner.  The TS% line stayed in a horizontal high line from left to right, until the lowest level of ferritin is reached.  <50 is aimed for.  According to this, the TS% is the last to reduce.

I showed him my spreadsheet of serum iron, TIBC, TS%, ferritin, Hb results since 1998, which also showed consistently high TS% even though my ferritin levels had gone down to <50 for many years (I have been in maintenance mode of every 3 months for 15 or more years).  I had read one of his research papers that said TS% at high levels for >6 years on maintenance program was a toxic situation.  What to do about it?

He suggested that my vx sessions be customised for me rather than the common 3 monthly, e.g. smaller amount more often.  (I remember I was 'superwoman' while I was still menstruating (albeit heavily) pre hysterectomy which brought this disorder to the fore.)  However, while I am highly motivated to get this toxic stuff out of me, my veins are so tired of being abused and go on strike.  So I stuck to the 3 monthly even though my ferritin levels went down to the 20s.   2nd last vx, I was rewarded with everything being low, i.e. serum iron 24 (3 months prior = 40), TS% 40 (74), ferritin 24 (31).  I still went ahead with my next vx when due.  As I have a blood test a few days before vx, I won't know the results since then till the next blood test.  My TS% has been recorded as high as 95% often and 107% at one time.

If everything is still low, I am debating whether to ask for a reduced quantity be taken from me next vx (this is prior to seeing my haematologist whose next appointment is a couple of weeks afterwards).   If I wasn't going overseas, I would delay the vx but I do need to have one before I go because I really pay for it when my ferritin level goes up to near 80 and I don't need that while travelling.

So based on my experience, I would not worry about your TS% yet.  You probably have a long way to go.  Keep up the venesections, perhaps further apart if you are having them less than 3 monthly.  You don't say what your ferritin level is.  With active homozygous C282Y (which I am), it likely willl increase without vx.  It is best to get it down to <50 and keep going unless your Hb gets too low.  Mine always stays high, but your previous health issues may make it different for you.

Find the research paper by Prof Pierre Brissot (google something like 'consistently high transferrin saturation %"wink, print for dr to read (in the event you do not find a dr who knows about this).  So far, answers to this problem do not appear to be published.  Even the paper that Gillian refers to does not give any solutions.  However, in one of Brissot's publications, it has been suggested that CoQ10 and Vit E are helpful for the treatment of the damage to our mitochondria that this causes.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

I did not mean that emoji - it was supposed to be a closing bracket  lol
    • Posted

The following are my levels. The readings begin in 2017 and prior to first reading had started supplementing with iron due to bone marrow biopsy showing no iron May/November/Jan22/           Feb2/Feb15/March 7/March27.   I had been taking iron for awhile until the November reading, stopped iron but still on multivitamin which contained iron stopped that after labs on 1/22 and discovered I was homozygous for c282y. Feb 26 liver biopsy showed stage 3 iron deposition but HII was only 1.2.  Dr thought it was only a matter of getting the iron out that I had been supplementing with.  1st phlebotomy was on 3/7 with a goal of getting saturation less than 30. Came back on 3/27 to find my saturation increased and had my second phlebotomy and that’s when my dr said this wasn’t making sense to him and he is looking other resources. Scheduled for another treatment on 4/10. 

Iron               

72/165/234/162/170/140/196

Ferritin                

67/178/203/110/69/73/67

TIBC            291/247/234/249/245/269/226

Saturation %      

24/67/100/65/69/52/87

I hope this makes sense as far as how I typed the information I appreciate the help and will look into the article to show my dr before I see him again

• Posted

With a bit of reading, your dr will discover that TS% cannot be managed.  The research that Gillian referred to said the same thing in the words of something like this - just because some people's TS% reduces with vx, it does not mean it was managed to do this.  Just different metabolisms.

It has only been one year or less? since you started vx.  It will not happen overnight.  My TS% has taken 20 years to reduce, and maybe next bloods it will be up again.  Maybe yours could reduce in another year, or maybe not.  AT this stage, it is not important.  Ferritin levels are, and that is what needs to be concentrated on.  Get your ferritin to <50 and have enough vx at an appropriate frequency to maintain that level.  Ferritin, too, will go up and down, with infections (even a cold), and inflammations, etc.  Once the infection is over, it will come back down again.  Makes notes of how you feel to work out what level of ferritin is most satisfactory for you - i.e. no or reduced usual HH symptoms.

Just keep reading research and be on the lookout for some answers for this.  The Rennes groups are the first to work on it and publish.

Eventually with more knowledge,  it will become less important to you.

Best wishes

• Posted

Sheryl

Actually I’ve only had two phlebotomy treatments.  I’m still newly diagnosed but after seeing my liver biopsy my dr wants hem ever 3 weeks until iron saturation was below 30.  After my 1 st treatment he said were goinf to do them every 2 weeks but also stated we may be doing these for nothing which is why wants a second opinion.  I know my last phlebotomy was11 days ago and today I’m Sooo tired.  So if nothigvwlsevatvleast I feel better after having them.  But my understanding from what everyone has said OB this post is once ferritin in below 50 I should keep up the phlebotomies and eventually iron saturation will to drop.  

• Posted

Every three weeks seems too excessive if you are already in 'normal' range.  This range is not low enough if you are homozygous C282C.  Perhaps every one or two months is enough, till you get to 50, then every three months.

Don't worry about the TS% till you have been doing this for up to 6 years.

• Posted

I guess what I’m most confused about is why dis my liver biopsy showbstage 3 hemosiderosis when my labs at that time where also pretty normal?
    • Posted

Hi Jessica, I’ve been wondering about that too.  I’ve been doing some digging looking for anything that might shed light on possible reasons for someone with C282Y homozygosity having high iron on liver biopsy at a time when ferritin was normal.  I’ll post more of the theory I dug out later – but for now, here is what happens when I try to put what I’ve found so far together with your test results . . . .  maybe some of this might be helpful for you in talking with your doctor?

I started by charting the lab results you’ve posted along with a rough estimate of normal values (how close did I get?)  It looks much better in Excel but basically this is the result.  (If you’d like the Excel file, you can send me a private message with your email address and I’ll email you back with the actual Excel file.)

Column headings:  Date, Ferritin, % Sat, TIBC, Iron

Normal ranges:  ferritin <200 ug/L, % Sat 15-55%, TIBC 240-450 mcg/dL, iron 50-170 ug/dL

Date                   Ferritin %Sat  TIBC      Iron

01-May-17          67           24      291          72          

01-Nov-17          178          67      247        165        Stopped iron supplement

22-Jan-18           203       100      234         234        Stopped multivite with iron

02-Feb-18          110          65      249        163        

15-Feb-18            69          69      245        170        

26-Feb-18       Liver biopsy        Iron deposition stage 3 / hepatic iron index 1.2

07-Mar-18            73           52     269         140         Phlebotomy #1

27-Mar-18            78           87     226         196         Phlebotomy #2

10-Apr-18                                                                   Phlebotomy #3 scheduled

Additional information

·   C282Y homozygosity

·   Long-standing chronic leukopenia

·   Bone marrow biopsy in 2016 showed no iron

Observations on the lab results above

·   The % saturation goes up higher above normal than the ferritin does

·   Both the % saturation and ferritin come down after stopping iron supplementation

·   After phlebotomy #1, the ferritin basically doesn’t change, but the % saturation and iron go up

·   The fact that the ferritin stayed stable after the first phlebotomy suggests that there isn’t much if any tissue iron overload

·   The increase in % saturation and iron after the first phlebotomy is consistent with HFE hemochromatosis-caused iron over-absorption being increased further by blood loss

Leading to the key question:  if the lab results don’t really support the presence of significant iron overload, what could be other possible cause(s) of the stage 3 iron deposition found on liver biopsy?

Possibly relevant theory from the medical literature:

From Calculation and interpretation of the hepatic iron index:  A brief summary.  Ann Intern Med 1999 

·   Liver iron can be high in the absence of iron overload when there is viral hepatitis, fatty liver, or cirrhosis caused by alcohol excess, etc.

·   The hepatic iron index is designed to sort out high liver iron caused by hemochromatosis vs high liver iron caused by something else

·   A hepatic iron index greater than 1.9 in a non-cirrhotic liver strongly suggests the cause is hemochromatosis / iron overload

·   However, even with no iron overload being present, liver cirrhosis on its own can cause a high hepatic iron index

·   Iron is not evenly deposited in the liver so the hepatic iron index from different spots in the same liver can vary widely (e.g., hepatic iron index results from 1.1 vs 3.0 in biopsies all from the same liver)

And from Masuzaki R et al.  Comparison of liver biopsy and transient elastography based on clinical relevance.  Can J Gastroenterol. 2008 Sep; 22(9): 753-757.

·   Liver biopsy can miss cirrhosis because only about 1/50,000 of the liver is analyzed

·   When liver biopsy doesn’t show cirrhosis, cirrhosis may actually be present up to 30% of the time

·   Cirrhosis missed on liver biopsy may be picked up by elastography to measure liver stiffness

I couldn’t find much on leukopenia in viral or autoimmune hepatitis, and much of what I found is from older literature – here’s an example.  I expect a doctor with expertise in hepatitis will know lots more –

Kivel RM.  Hematologic aspects of acute viral hepatitis.  Am J Digestive Diseases 1961

·   Acute hepatitis is associated with leukopenia, atypical lymphocytes, and macrocytosis (aka big red cells)

Putting this together suggests some questions that you might want to ask your doctor?

·   What were hemoglobin values and red cell indices?  (A post-phlebotomy drop in hemoglobin would support no tissue iron overload.)

·   Did the liver biopsy show any fibrosis (cirrhosis) or fatty liver or indications of other liver disease?

·   If liver biopsy didn’t show any cirrhosis, would it be a good idea to do liver elastography? 

·   What was the pattern of iron deposition on liver biopsy?

·   Would it be a good idea to have an MRI for iron?  (An MRI for iron can show the pattern and amount of iron deposited – or not - in the liver and elsewhere, e.g., in the spleen and bone marrow.)

·   Would it be a good idea to test for any other kinds of liver disease, such as viral hepatitis or autoimmune hepatitis (if it hasn't already been done)?

I also pasted in below a few more references below that might be of interest.  I also have links to all the references mentioned, all to full text except for the 1961 article.  I can post the links if that would be helpful, but I've found it can take days for posts with links to be approved and I know your next phlebotomy is coming up soon. If you want, you can send me your email by private message and I’ll email you the links right away.

Fingers crossed that some of this might be useful in some way -

Causes of liver iron deposition

Med Sci Monit. 2016; 22: 2144–2151.  The Role of Iron and Iron Overload in Chronic Liver Disease.  Milic S et al.  (UHC Rijeka)

Abstract

The liver plays a major role in iron homeostasis; thus, in patients with chronic liver disease, iron regulation may be disturbed. Higher iron levels are present not only in patients with hereditary hemochromatosis, but also in those with alcoholic liver disease, nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, and hepatitis C viral infection. Chronic liver disease decreases the synthetic functions of the liver, including the production of hepcidin, a key protein in iron metabolism. Lower levels of hepcidin result in iron overload, which leads to iron deposits in the liver and higher levels of non-transferrin-bound iron in the bloodstream. Iron combined with reactive oxygen species leads to an increase in hydroxyl radicals, which are responsible for phospholipid peroxidation, oxidation of amino acid side chains, DNA strain breaks, and protein fragmentation. Iron-induced cellular damage may be prevented by regulating the production of hepcidin or by administering hepcidin agonists. Both of these methods have yielded successful results in mouse models.

Interpreting liver biopsy results

World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Sep 21; 13(35): 4755–4760.   Pathology of hepatic iron overload.  Deugnier Y, Turlin B. (Pontchaillou University Hospital, Rennes 35033, France)

Correspondence to: Yves Deugnier, Professor of Hepatology, Liver Unit and CIC INSERM 0203, Pontchaillou University Hospital, Rennes 35033, France. rf.1senner-vinu@reingued.sevy  Telephone: +33-2-99284297 Fax: +33-2-99284112

Abstract

Although progress in imaging and genetics allow for a noninvasive diagnosis of most cases of genetic iron overload, liver pathology remains often useful (1) to assess prognosis by grading fibrosis and seeking for associated lesions and (2) to guide the etiological diagnosis, especially when no molecular marker is available. Then, the type of liver siderosis (parenchymal, mesenchymal or mixed) and its distribution throughout the lobule and the liver are useful means for suggesting its etiology: HLA-linked hemochromatosis gene (HFE) hemochromatosis or other rare genetic hemochromatosis, nonhemochromatotic genetic iron overload (ferroportin disease, aceruloplasminemia), or iron overload secondary to excessive iron supply, inflammatory syndrome, noncirrhotic chronic liver diseases including dysmetabolic iron overload syndrome, cirrhosis, and blood disorders.

Interpreting liver iron MRI results

Diagn Interv Radiol. 2016 Jan; 22(1): 22–28.   Different forms of iron accumulation in the liver on MRI.  Idilman Is et al.  (Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey.)

Abstract

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a well-established imaging modality to evaluate increased iron deposition in the liver. Both standard liver imaging series with in-phase and out-of-phase T1-weighted sequences for visual detection, as well as advanced T2- and T2*-weighted measurements may be used for mapping the iron concentration. In this article, we describe different forms of liver iron accumulation (diffuse, heterogeneous, multinodular, focal, segmental, intralesional, periportal, and lobar) and hepatic iron sparing (focal, geographic and nodular). Focal iron sparing is characterized by hypointense areas on R2* map and hyperintense areas on T2* map. We also illustrate MRI findings of simultaneous hepatic iron and fat accumulation. Coexistence of iron (siderosis) and fat (steatosis) can make interpretation of in- and out-of-phase T1-weighted images difficult; calculation of proton density fat fraction and R2* maps can characterize abnormal signal changes observed on in- and out-of-phase images. Knowledge of different forms of hepatic iron overload and iron sparing and evaluation of T2* and R2* maps would allow correct diagnosis of iron-associated liver disorders

• Posted

I can’t figure out how to private message you.  My hemoglobin and hematocrit have remained essentially normal. I wish it would let me take a pic of my papers and upload on here.  The biopsy ransom liver core biopsy benign liver tissue showing moderate iron deposition hemosiderosis grade 3 of 4. Negative for cirrhosis dysphasia or malignancy. It goes on to say portal regions show slightly increased fibrosis as noted on trichromatic stain. Portal regions also show scant lymphocytic infiltrates. Low power shows brownish cytoplasmic granules involving more than 90% of hepaticytes with apical accentuation bear the peripheral regions (chicken wire pattern). Also iron deposition within the lobular kupffer cells. If you wouldn’t mind messaging me your email I could send you pictures of some of my labs.  I know I don’t have hep b or c. I was not very kind to my liver through my twenties and I had a sister who died at age 33 of fatty changes in liver secondary to alcoholism  and pills.  My fear is that they didn’t get a part of the liver that may show more fibrosis or cirrhosis like you said and that my issue is potentially due to past alcohol use and the homozygous hemochromatosis is just pure coincidence 
    • Posted

Huge work, Gillian.  Jessica has struck gold with your responses.
    • Posted

Jessica, can you see the envelope beside Gillian's name?  That is what you click on.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.