Labs told no inner ear problem have a referral for Audiology ??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, after being told that my MRI scan was clear and having seen a consultant at the ENT whom said that my balance was okay my hearing 100% and no sign of any inner ear infection he has referred me had a letter this morning from Audiology Department can anyone shed any light on what might this be for and what will happen, feeling very down today just soooo fed up feeling like this your comments would be appreciated thank you Happy Saturday !

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paulette

I have had this done , dont worry its fine , i had a lovely lady do mine - ok they talk to you about it to begin with and ask if you know which side is affected - she explained what she was going to do - you sit on a couch with an upright rest behind you so sitting with your legs out in front of you - Now trying to remember which biut was first ,  they put you like a snorkel on ( hahah ) you see a 60" screen in front of you ( nope your not watching a film )  you see your own eyes and they centre line the crosses up on the screen with this gadget on your head then they run a series of tests watching lights boune about and flicker on the screen and you have to follow them.  she then said the next but involved pushing warm water into one ear then the other  she said it may make you feel sick (it did ) but she will ask you to think of something mine was i want you to name a girls name with every letter of the alphabet  , this takes your mind of whats happening , the same with the next ear , to be honest the warmth is quite nice -   then she does it with cold water ) this doesnt make you feel funny ).   From this they can detect which side if off balance.    It takes about an hour altogether.   I hope that helps you.  I found it quite relaxing and reassuring ,

• Posted

Thank you Sue tihs is most helpful, i do find it hard to describe the feelling I have its not dizzy its almost as if i am floating lilghtheadedness sometimes with a headache the only time I feel normal is when I have a glass of wine or alcohol which is not good as i could end up having a problem with this if I was to drink 24 hours a day the anxiety is still there but I have learned to control it now but its still hard to keep yourself calm every day when you feel like this, I have also started taking Vitamin Bs every day to see if this helps and John Worts mood life tablets i don't want to start becoming depressed again as the doc will suggest meds i am on no meds and havent' been for weeks now, how do you find your symptons??

• Posted

Hi paulette,

i have done this and i suggest you dont  eat or drink anything atleast three hours prior to this test . Also avoid caffiene on the test day . It will make things easier . Caloric test is a funny test to undergo . You will experience the highest of the highs during that test . All the best. 

• Posted

hi paulette, as Sue mentioned it's not too bad. in my case it was warm and then cool air that they shot into each ear, not water. it does make you a bit dizzier but it only lasts a few minutes. with this test they can clearly see  which side is affected and by how much. my left ear was uncompensated by 67%. quite a drastic difference. with vestibular therapy I have regained my balance. my MRI was good too and my hearing test was good as well. as far as my balance I seen the ENT my second week of symptoms, at that time I walked like I had too much to drink so it very easy to see I had balance issues. getting an actual diagnosis and starting therapy is key. try to stay positive!
  • Posted

Hi paulette

can I just add that it is a good idea to keep a diary of you symptoms as that is what I was asked a lot latter down the line, so it might help to bring it with you. If you have spins try and think how long they last etc, this sounds tricky but it realky helps the specialust when you see them. Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.