labyrinthectomy surgery

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone had this surgery? What has been your experience? Did  you regain your balance through one ear?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruby,

I had the Labyrinthectomy done June 2018. Dont regret one bit. Where r u located and what measures of treatment have u had done in the past? It has been 3 months and I have my balance. Recove took a bit...but worth it. You are not debilitated as in you have no balance...You may email me if you would like to talk.

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

I had a labyrinthectomy last year. For me, it was the worst decision i have ever made. I now have more wrong than before. I now have occipital neuralgia, my balance is still off, i still have vertigo, my hearing is coming back, i have severe noise sensitivity, headaxhes and my head hurts to touch on the side operated on. With that being said, i wouldnt recommend this although it has been a saver for many, for me not so much. Good luck to you with whatever you decide.
    • Posted

I’m sorry to hear about your outcome. I had the sac decompression in May and still having some residual balance issues. I was curious about the next step. There is nothing win-win about surgery. 
    • Posted

Hi Betty,

I would be curious as to if they were able to remove all the inner ear.  Sometimes it is difficult to get all of it.  In speaking with 2 docs prior to my labyrinthectomy I asked would the vertigo every come back?  I was told no unless was to move over to other ear. I was further advised I would be permanently deaf on that side and would never have hearing in that ear.  The only thing that wasn't promised was that the ringing and fullness would be eradicated.  I had to sign papers stating I was fully aware of the permanent hearing loss. Just something you might look into.  I hate that you have had so many issues.  Prayers for you for better days.

• Posted

My new ENT has done a cat scan to see if any bone was left. Im still waiting to hear the results. And yes i did come out of the surgery deaf although over the last few months i have hearing returning to my bad ear and nobody can explain why or why im still having vertigo. I do still have all the fullness and the ringing. But not with the occipital neuralgia i have to get shots in my head every month. My new ENT thinks i may have to have gentimicin shots now. Which is kind of going backwards. I will keep in my thoughts and i wish the very best for you. Please research until you cant before making a decision. Take care.
  • Posted

Hi rubye,

I replied to your question however it is stating the reply is waiting to be modified. 

The sac decompression did not work for me, hence reason for Labyrinthectomy.  I am very pleased with results of it.  I do occasionally get off balance and side step a couple of steps, but then again heck I did that before as I can be clumsy. I pray many prayers and everyday I pray for people with this disease. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. Glad hear that there are successes. I will be returning to vestibular therapy again in an attempt gain better balance. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.