Labyrinthitis caused by flying any help please ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been reading various posts on the above condition but I don't see anyone that has had it caused by flying. I'm hoping for some help. Today I am on week five of this horrible condition.

I was returning from a flight from Las Vegas when my problems started. I had previously went over doing a 1 hour 40 minute flight from Glasgow to London, then London to Las Vegas 10 hours 40 minutes. It was during the descent that the problem started, ( I always get sore ears at this time ) normally I just do the usual yawning, swallowing chewing, holding my nose and blowing. My ears can feel a bit funny for a day or so ( though not always ) . I was perfectly fine on the journeys out. This time though I felt a sharp pain at the back of my skull when I blew. Once  I had got back home, ( we had been on the go for 24 hours by the time of my return to my home). I then had muffled ears for three days, then my left ear popped and I thought the worst was over. I took the worst ever jet lag, I was exhausted, slept for hours day and night, and then this really sore head on the left hand side at the base of my skull came, if I wasn't vomiting then I was feeling nauseated. My eyes were achy but I just put it down to jet lag. Then all these other symptoms appeared, I felt a bit hazy and drunk like, a bit spacey almost dream like. But I could drive, go out to dinner, function to a degree. I also seen an acupuncturist on the Thursday, which made me feel very relaxed.Then bam ! Saturday I had done a 10 k power walk, ate dinner , came home, had a bath with magnesium flakes and within 10 minutes I had to get out as I was feeling lightheaded and had to be really sick. ( after being sick I always find I feel much better), the next day I just felt terrible, stayed in bed all day, trying to shake off my  lightheaded feeling, nauseous and really painful head on the left side. The same story Monday. I decide I had to go see a Doctor. ( I prefer to do things naturally so it was a bit deal for me ). Anyway, I seen senior doctor and practice nurse, who both gave a 100% diagnosis or labyrinthitis. The eye test told them it was an inner ear problem (nystagmus). Now I know why my eyes ache so much. They gave me stemitil for the nausea. ( I haven't taken any as I haven't been sick since and can cope with the nausea). They told me it was caused by the flight descent and then a viral infection, also it could be recurring but most people only have it the once. ( I can see that's nonsense by these posts on the condition) also that it would go away in three more weeks at the most. Any help would be much appreciated.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi eve87464, I also suffer with painful ears during descent when flying. On a flight to Spain 6 weeks ago, I had the usual problem with my ears, leaving them muffled for an hour or so afterwards. That night, I got up to get a drink and felt dizzy and lightheaded which was still evident when I got up in the morning, the next day I had an attack of severe vertigo and couldn't get out of bed, I was also very sick, these symptoms lasted for the whole 2 weeks I was in Spain. When I got home, I went to the doctor, who said I had labyrinthitis, although he pooh-poohed the idea that it was caused by the flight....he said he had never heard of this. I was given Serc for the nausea and a nasal spray, as I had recently had sinus problems. Two weeks later I was back at the doc as I had another 2 vertigo attacks which lasted all day and through the night combined with dizziness and nausea daily which the meds had no effect on. I asked the doc for an appointment at ENT, as my right ear felt full, as if there was liquid inside which couldn't get out, but he said that wouldn't help as it was an inner ear problem, and has referred me to physio therapy to see if the epley manoeuvre would help, and if not, he would send me to see a neurologist. I find that when the dizziness is bad, it's best to try to keep moving, no matter how difficult, as sitting still and giving in to it makes it worse. I have not driven for the last 6 weeks, and can only watch tv or use iPad for short periods. To cut a long story short, after living in misery, I have been symptom free for the last 3 days, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm at the end of it.......we shall see, I'll post later with an update. I hope you feel better soon, it's a horrible condition which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
    • Posted

Hi isabel172115,

You poor girl, sounds like you had a nightmare holiday because of this. I guess I was lucky and got to enjoy my vacation with the family. You have given me light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps I'll start getting better in the same time frame. I have been juicing every day and also fasting intermittently. Drinking 3 litres at the very least of pure water. Also have been taking asorbic acid with bioflavonoids, olive leaf extract, allicin garlic capsules, raw organic honey, apple Cider vinegar. I have purchase vitamin D3 and I'm going to get blood test done to check my level as you need this to heal. I am also going to look at iodine supplementation. I have had total bed rest for three days sleeping flat, no pillow and switching side to side. Tonight when I got up,  is the first time in my 5 weeks I have felt a bit better. I have also been having baths with magnesium flakes. The only salt I use (in food if any) is himalayian salt , so salts kill, this one heals and is full of minerals. So hopefully this carries on. I am due to see an acupuncturist on Thursday, I'm a great believer in allowing the body to heal itself. I hope that you are over the worst and that you continue to heal, I too would not wish this on anyone, it's the most awful disabling condition ever. Please keep me posted on your recovery and thank you for making contact. 

• Posted

Hopefully you get my last post as I had mentioned the site of a natural health practitioner. Sorry. One last thing... I am due to go to Canada in 12 weeks so another flight Glasgow to London, London to Canada, then three days later a 5 hour internal flight in Canada. Has this condition scared you off of flying again. I know I am a bit apprehensive now. 
    • Posted

Hi, I didn't get your earlier reply. Yes, I'm flying Glasgow toTampa in October , and I'm very anxious about it. Doctor said to use a nasal spray daily for 2 weeks before the flight,  take travel sickness meds on the day, and to use ear plugs, the nasal spray is to help keep the Eustachian tube open, which I suppose makes sense. Went to physio therapy yesterday, did the epley manoeuvre 3 times, but didn't feel any different, I've to go back next week for eye exercises, but I'm not convinced I'm going down the right route. I'm still feeling a lot better, except I still have the trapped liquid feeling in my ear, but I'll live with that,but that's the bit that worries me about the flight. Let me know how you get on after your trip, hopefully you won't have any problems. Regards, Isabel
    • Posted

Hi Eve, further to my post this morning, because my ear felt so full when I got up, I googled "blocked Eustachian tube". There are various instructions in how to unblock the tube, I tried most of them, and was suddenly aware of a change in my hearing, didn't feel a pop, but sounds are much sharper although I wasn't aware of any hearing loss. The full feeling in my ear has now gone(fingers crossed). I will still use the doc's instructions on my next flight and hope for the best. You might want to give it a try, if it doesn't do any good, it won't do any harm.All the best, isabel
  • Posted

Hello, I was wondering if you found relief. I just wanted to leave a comment to let you know that if vertigo or dizziness is caused during flying, I would definitely look into perilymph fistula. It is a classic symptom of this fistula. 
    • Posted

Dear mai18, I still haven't found relief, some days I feel a little better and other days just drained. I didn't get any vertigo or dizziness during flight. It was just the usual painful ears, that took a couple of days to fully pop, ( particularly my left one ) my ears felt hot and muffled. I have had absolutely no hearing loss as far as I can tell. In both of my ears.Just mild tinnitus ( only hear it in bed at night). I have never had the full room spinning feeling, just more an imbalance-drunk like feeling-without the glow. Nauseous, with sore heavy eyes. I believe the nystagmus is causing this.headaches at the back of my skull. I intend to wait two more weeks, ( I'm six weeks past on Thursday ) to see if it improves or not. Then go and see my GP for a referral to an otologist at a private hospital in Glasgow. I want to see one anyway as I am due to fly again long haul, beginning of July and I would cancel if he thought this would cause more harm. Do you still think with my symptoms that a perilymph fistula could be probable ?
  • Posted

Hello all,

have no idea if anyone is still active on this thread (if so, I hope you have found relief!), but has anyone on this thread received a diagnosis of Meniere's disease?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.