Labyrinthitis-Is this really what I have?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all, 

Just curious if anyone has an experience like mine. Woke up one morning in August with severe vertigo, heavy head, and nausea. That is it as far as symptoms go. Scared me to death, but symptoms subsided within 4 days. Directly following I had a severe sore throat for about 3 weeks and after that everything cleared up and was good until about 1 week ago. (December 18th)

1 week ago I woke up with vertigo, nausea and heavy head again. Not nearly as bad as the first time but still awful and very scary. Symptoms subsided within 3 days, and I was completely good for about 4 days until I woke up with full blown symptoms again-however not as bad as the previous two times. 

Am I on the tail end of this? I am a 22 year old female. It's been about 4 months since I had the first symptoms. I am scared I will be having these symptoms randomly forever. Anyone had an experience like this? Doctor says it is labyrinthitis but there is nothing they can do.

Thanks in advance. Any discussion would be appreciated!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would also like to mention I have no tinnitis or hearing loss. Just sudden cases of extreme vertigo. Doctor says there is no way it is BPPV as it stays when I walk and move around and only lasts 3-4 days.
  • Posted

Have a blood test and check Vitiamin D, Vitamin B12, Magnesium, And Iron. Also go to an ENT and thave them check you out.
  • Posted

If you have a "balance doctor" in your area I encourage you to go.  I had something called "ear crystals" and neither my regular doctor, neurologist, Rheumatologist or ENT figured it out - the balance doctor knew within five minutes what it was.  If you don't have a balance doctor in our area, Google "ear crystals" and ask you doctor specifically about that.  Mine did the same - just came out of nowhere and it is very scary.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for responding! Did yours ever return or was it just a one time thing? Most people I hear about have such long lasting vertigo, mine is always around 3 or 4 days, but it is definitely vertigo and not just wooziness or dizziness. It's a total loss of balance and like the world is spinning in front of my eyes.

I am afraid that because it came back that it might be something more serious, I would love to hear more about your experience! Thanks!

• Posted

My vertigo has not returned.  Thank goodness.  I still have balance issues but those are mostly now when I am outside.  I haven't been given a proper diagnosis but sensory overload is the closest any of them have  come.  Like when  you got in a grocery store with all of the looking up and down the shelves and the bright lights.  From now on pay attention to what your triggers are - for me it was grocery stores and cool places like Pier One that just had so much "stuff" everywhere.  I have been trying to get normal for close to three years now.  It has been a frustrating (and expensive) process.  Just don't let the doctors dismiss you.  Because you know your body better than anyone else.
  • Posted

I Have Been Diagnosed with Labyrinthin and with a lot if medication things have calmed down. I still have ringing in my ears and I do notice that in col. Weather like now my ears pop alot and if i get stressed I get some vertigo.

I too wonder if this will always be.

I hope you feel better and you should go and see a ENT.

I hope you feel better.

• Posted

Hey thanks for your response! What kind of medicines? Was it to combat the illness or the symptoms? Thanks!
  • Posted

I thought I was alone in ths I woke up today feelin dizzy when I got up an I reached up to get somethin went dizzy again soon as I put my head back down it stopped I got really scared an Google it it apparently it's labrinthitus or how ever it's spelt I had pain in my ear yesterday like somebody was twisting a screwdriver in it i get really scared sory to bother u with ths if u need to talk im here hope u feel back to normal soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.