Labyrinthitis or some sort of vestibular disorder has made me socially isolated

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ive had this before in 2003 and now it's back. Been about 5 months now of feeling giddy and having panic type attacks. ENT consultant explained that wrong signals to brain due to inner ear damage can cause anxiety and panic attacks .  

The problem is that I am 55, single and childless so I have no one to discuss this with and no support and I am getting increasing housebound and fearful that I will have an attack when out. Supermarkets are a nightmare, noisy environments, too many conversations going on a once, multitasking etc all cause me problems.  I work with young people and some times when they are all being really enthusiastic and talking all the time it sets me off.

my closest friend is in India at the moment so I don't have anyone to talk to about this so I feel like there's no one to tell me not to worry.

this forum has really helped as I can see that other people are going through the same as me with the horrible symptoms.

All I wantfor christmas is good health and my life back!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I can sympathise. I have just had treatment for a tumour in this area and there were days where I could not decide what to wear and something that stupid, would upset me. While I am not suggesting you have the same as me, our symptoms sound very alike. I had excellent balance before and a clear head. Every morning and in the evening too, I stand near a wall, incase I fall over, and pratice standing on one leg. Sometimes I am better than other times, but if you dont use it, it will get worse. Other people seemed to understand when I said it was similar to being on a boat. During my treatment I was also very nasous. Like motion sickness and morning sickness and a hangover all rolled into one. Dont become isolated. There are people out there who understand. Good luck.
  • Posted

hi Julia, I know it's a horrible feeling. I was ok for awhile and since nov it started again with the tinnitus and then in 1 1/2 weeks I had 3 attacks. What amazes me is that there are so many people with this and yet no cures. I personally was diagnosed with menieres  and was told there is no cure. Do not isolate your self though , I know the anxiety that comes with it and you could easily fall into that trap, but keep thinking positive and push yourself to do things.  I almost didn't want to go to work because I was getting anticipated anxiety because my attacks happened at work and I was connecting the two...
  • Posted

Thank you Alison and Anna for your replies.  It really does help that there are others out there that understand what it's like and definitely makes me feel less isolated.  I have been getting out a bit since posting, just doing things gradually and predominantly in daylight as it seems to get worse after dark especially at this time of year with all the flashing lights, music and crowds.  Sends me literally in a spin then the anxiety starts. I'm a bit new to this so not sure if I have replied in the right way but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it!

thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Julia. You are doing everything right. You have to keep going and try not to stress because that makes things worse. I am not a pill popper but I was prescribed Prochlorperazine and they really work for me. I can take up to 3 a day, but only take 1 when I really need it. This way, I can get on with my life when I feel really dizzy or nauseous. They also have a slight calming effect. Might be worth a try asking if this would work for you.(I have only needed to take 3 in 2weeks) good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Alison, I do have prochlorperazine and it has helped in the past, particularly with the anxiety but I was concerned that they might be increasing my depression as they reduce dopamine so like you I tend to use them sparingly but always have a supply with me.

i think that not seeing a light at the end of the tunnel is what gets me down and its a bit of a viscous circle as the less I get out doing normal things, the more time I spend alone thinking and worrying about it which makes me feel less inclined to go out.  But since posting this I've been out a couple of times and am beginning to build my confidence up so thanks again for your support.

• Posted

It can become a vicious circle. I worry people might think I am drunk because I sometimes stagger, especially if look up or to the side when I'm walking. I hope to start driving again soon and get some independance. I think it is important, when feeling bad, not to spend too much time alone and get out and mix with others. I too get very down at times but I get a lot of satisfaction when I exercise. I set myself targets to challenge myself and also keeping a strong central core helps with balance. Simple things like standing on 1 leg ( near a wall) and counting. This has improved since I started and gives me hope. Stay positive and accept that it is ok to have down days sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi julia

i know exactly how you feel, for 12-18 months ive been on propanalol for 'panic attacks' , ive no history of them and its crippling, i feel like im on a boat in the water moving about and feel fuzzy all the time, now an ENT consultant is sending me for an MRI to rule out acoustic neuroma or a vestibular disorder too. Im hypersensitive to noise and get vertigo in crowded places. I know it sounds bad but im a strong person and couldnt understand why i was suffering with anxiety and now i see it may be a physical thing. Im tired, headaches, visual blurring and i just want to feel right agsin its really debilitating.

i hope you get it sorted and good luck!!

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I agree it is really debilitating. Also frustrating to have a couple of good days then feel really dizzy and anxious again.  There seems to be no reason why I suddenly have a set back and I think that even when I'm feeling Ok -ish I am anxious about it not lasting.  Good luck to you too.  
  • Posted

Sounds like you have a sensory processing disorder where you get over stimulated by certain sounds or to much going on around you that your brain can't process it all. I have this as well as my nephew who has autism. I usually try to not go to loud crowded or busy places. When I do go out I wear my ear buds and listen to music to block out all the noise I also wear sunglasses to limit disturbances from bright light. I stay in my house often but I'm an introvert and enjoy being able to control my environment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.