Labyrinthitis / Spaced Out

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had an appointment with my GP after beginning to feel extremely spaced out/drunk and he thought it sounded like mild Labyrinthitis. He prescribed antibiotics which I took for 10 days but they made no difference.

I'm 30 with no other real health concerns and this seemed to hit out of the blue. It's difficult to explain my symptoms. I'm currently still spaced out, only mildly dizzy from time to time but feel like my head is in a complete fog and I'm "here but not really here" if that makes sense.

I've had this now for over four weeks and starting to worry it won't ever leave. Anyone have any experience of this or how long it takes?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chris

have you considered it might be BPPV?

Symptoms sound similar - especially the feeling of 'here, but not really here' . i had the condition for years before it was diagnosed and for me it was like I was looking through the eyes someone else.

google it and see what you think.

• Posted

I had exactly the same about 4 weeks ago ... my symptoms were so severe work colleagues called an ambulance. The diagnosis for me was labrynthitis too. From researching online, its often caused by a virus so antibitotics won't help anyway. I had a couple of days of really spinning vertigo/dizziness, but now still get the odd "wobbly" day. It can take several weeks to fully recover and may flare up from time to time. If you think you need more advice/treatment, go back to your GP. My GP did a full blood screen and everything came back normal. I am coping OK at the moment, but plan to return for more medical follow up in a few weeks if I have not fully recovered. The dizzy feeling can be a symptom of several different ailments that can affect your balance. When it comes on without warning they tend to "assume" its labrynthitis, but there are many things that can cause it, some easier to treat than others, to might be worth a follow up with GP to get checked out. Hope you feel better soon.

In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids as this can help flush out any bugs is your system, and try to keep a record of things that might trigger worse symptoms, like I found fluorescent lighting at work made me feel worse, so I changed to a desk lamp which has helped a lot. Also I try to avoid getting too hungry so snack during the day, as this can make me feel lightheaded. Sometimes little things can make a huge difference. Good luck 😉

• Posted

Hi Chris I'm into week 10 been of work for 7 weeks with mild labrinithis/vestibular nurititis. Had to go to GP for medication as was getting worse! Dizzy nausea ect! The say it can last several months!! I have to believe it will go as mentally its very wearing!!!

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies. I had the Epley manoeuvre done at the physio yesterday but it hasn't made a difference so far. Not sure how long it takes to work, but guessing it rules out BPPV if it doesn't work?

• Posted

I have had this exact same issue for nearly 2 years. Mirtazipane helps, but they all come back when I try to come off it.

The spaced out feeling is horrible, especially when people tell you it's all in your head.

• Posted

hi, anyone have any updates? i have been suffering with this for about 8 months or so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.