Lack of appetite and feeling full

Posted , 7 users are following.

For years my mom has eaten small meals but I've noticed in the past couple months she'll eat two meals on good days and 1 small meal on other days to what she states she isn't hungry or feels full from her first meal and has also suffered fatigue often in the last few months . Should I be concerned with this? She was scheduled to see a GI however it'll be a couple months from now due to their calendar. She is in her 60s and recently came positive on a Ocult Stool Test and I'm concerned it might be something serious but read this is common with IBS? Anyone experienced this before

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi “concerned” and also a very loving daughter. Apart from the occult blood test has your Mum had any other tests done?

A blood test to see if she’s anaemic?

Blood in the stools might not be anything sinister but if it were me I would want my Mum to have further investigations like a colonoscopy to be sure.

Has your Mum been to see the Doctor  about this?

It would reassure both of you to get it all thoroughly checked so I think that is what you should make sure is happening. 

Hope everything turns out well..........If you were my daughter I’d be really chuffed. Best wishes. 

• Posted

I agree with Jane29413, see if you can get your mum's appointment moved forward. The fatigue could be from anaemia so a blood test is needed for confirmation. However the positive occult stool test reading needs further investigation and the sooner the better. Hope all goes well.

• Posted

Hi Concerned1234

If your mum is only eating small meals and only one or two a day she may be lacking in essential vitamin and minerals. One that springs to mind is Vit B12 which the over 55's cannot absorb due to declining Intrinsic Factor in the gut. Low B12 will make her feel very fatigued, low energy and low mood. As well as getting her a full Anemia blood test ask to include B12 and Folate. B12 levels in the elderly should be between 500-900. Low B12 can cause digestion problems and possibly this is why she doesn't want to eat much. You are a very good daughter having concern for your mum..hope all turns out well for your mum and you..

• Posted

Can I ask where you got your B12  levels from because my doctor said the levels were 211-911 (do I assume 211 would be for a person younger) I’m 40 and my B12 is 212 (August bloods) and I was told it is normal as it falls between the two numbers
    • Posted

Hi Wendy68446

For people aged 55years and over B12 levels should be 500-900 as they are not able to absorb B12 from food as the Intrinsic Factor Protein that assists in absorption of B12 through the gut, ileum then into the system diminishes as we age. Simetimes certain medication such as PPI's and metformin prevent absorption of B12. Low B12 in the elderly or those on certain meds that block B12 absorption have B12 injections every three months or there are sublingual supplements that absorb B12 under the tongue also B12 patches, nose sprays and mouth sprays. At aged 40 years your B12 levels are ok...

• Posted

Thank you for the information, I am on Omeprazole and have heard that this may affect B12 but my doctor says that wasn’t the case. 
    • Posted

Hi wendy68446

PPI's such as operprazole can block B12 absorption. If you want to higher your B12 levels take sublinguals or any of the sprays and patches. You cannot overdose in B12 as it is water soluble and is occasionally released through urination.....

• Posted

Lack of appetite,feeling full and fatigue could be many things.  IBS would cause abdominal pain, change of bowel habit, sometimes bloating and feeling full and lack of appetite along with possible food triggers.  Best to waif for her GI appointment first though to get a firm answer after tests.
  • Posted

Her primary care doctor it might be due to anemia but would perfer her to see a GI however the GI's office rescheduled her appointment without notifying her. She had an endoscopy a couple years ago and everything was good but its been a couple years. Now its a waiting game till her appointment comes up. Thanks for the replies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.