Lack of energy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I don't know if it's anything to do with my depression, but I have absolutely no energy.  I move so slowly that I look like a 70 year old.  I feel wooly headed and don't fall asleep till at least 4 am every morning.  I'm wasting my life sleeping all day.  My doctor seems really disiinterested in things and puts it down to my getting older.  It feels hopeless that I'm doomed to feel like this for the rest of my life.  Has anyone else had this feeling of living in slow motion?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

oh god yes know that feeling so much. i have it alot still now. what meds are you on hun? if you dont mind me asking? xx
  • Posted

Hi yes I know exactly what you are talking about as this is how depression can affect me as well.  It's like you are in your own little bubble and wrapped in cotton wool so you can't hear or see anything as you trudge along at the speed of a snail.   It is horrible isn't it? 

The not sleeping part is also a common feature of depression.   You don't have to put up with this as there is treatment available.   Unfortunately some doctors are rubbish at dealing with this so I suggest you change your doctor  ((if  it is a surgery you can see anyone you want you know) until you find one that listens.  x

• Posted

I know I should keep seeing different doctors until someone helps me, but it's such an effort to go out of the house. It's pathetic how I'm letting my life pass by while I cower at home. I feel lost and really don't know how to motivate myself.

• Posted

I know how hard it is preshy coz I have been there.  It took me months after realising my depression had come back to pluck up the courage to see a dr.  Unfortunately he was competely uninterested just called an 'uptight person' and said 'what does it matter'?  

It took me 4 months and 1 suicide attempt to go back to the drs and this time I found a lovely female one.  Please don't make my mistake of leaving it so long.

The problem with depression is it is very hard to get motivated and any knock backs really set you back.   The way to get motivated is to force yourself to do something,  anything rather than the other way around.  Good luck my friend and keep perserving  x

• Posted

Thank you. I will ask to see a female doctor I think. I'm sure she'll be more understanding x
  • Posted

Oh dear.  I am a 70 year old, so know what you mean.  I move slowly because I have arthritisd!

Yes depression does drain us of energy.  That is what first took me to the doctor many years ago. 

Are you on medication which could be making you feel sleepy?  I don't think you are doomed to spend the rest of your life like this.  There are ups and downs with depression, good and bad days.  Honestly things should improve.  If it is due to anti depressants, then you can be put on a different one.

• Posted

Sorry Anne, I didn't mean to offend. I have had depression since the birth of my youngest 17 years ago.I've tried quite a few different pills, but am having trouble remembering if any of them helped. I need to go back to my doctor and insist on something being done for me. I am really in a dark place just now, I find it hard to imagine being happy again. I've forgotten what that actually feels like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.