Lack of iron from fibroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all I have been on iron tablets since being diagnosed with Fibroids 3 years ago. I had a UFE on 18 Jan and was fine while I was taking the iron tablets. They ran out a few days ago and tried to order more from doctors as I'm feeling very tired. And I was informed by the receptionist at the Doctors that I cannot have any more iron tablets as I have been without them for 22 days one of the GP said. This is not correct and I tried to tell them but they are having none of it. Off to the blood test clinic now (they said they will reinstate my iron tablets when they get the results which will take a week)

I'm worried that my levels will be normal while I still feel like I can't keep awake. Is this possible? Would really like to hear if someone knows

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Patricie

Am not sure if i understood you well

But i have being taking low Hb level due to

Fibroids and taking iron tablets now and then, but to me i think its not good to take iron tablets through out because your body might get used to them and therefore not manage to make its own blood. I think when they told you can not take more after stopping they might be right as "maybe" you need a break after taking long.

For me i try to eat foods helping wth iron & especially raw beetroot(can make juice by mixing with sweet fruits) etc

I would advice you consult a 2nd opinion(doctor) they will advice you.

Good luck. Xxx

• Posted

Hi Ru I went to doctors for a 2nd opinion but they had put me with the GP that refused the iron tablets. Spoke to reception and they said I'm on 3 tablets a day. I said no I am on 2 tablets a day have been for months. They still said I need to wait for blood test result. So I just went to the chemist next door and bought a bottle of multi vitamins with iron. Which will do me till I get them reinstated. I was so mad at that GP. He has the nickname Parectomol cos that's what he prescribes for everything.
    • Posted

So sorry For you patricia for all this pain..

Are you maybe on other medication like family planning pills? coz doctors sometime give them to slow fibroid growth.i used to take them n my periods were as heavy as like half way giving birth,& always anaemic but i stopped n after few months all was almost normal.try to check wht u are having as prevention to fibroids growth like herbal teas etc ( i know it does not always work for everyone) but its worth a try to stop some. If no other medications then you can try my way;

Drinking water early morning at 4 or 5am 1litre in 1 or 2minutes,75ml at 11am & 75ml at 4/5pm all in 1 or 2minute. Its not easy in 1st or 2weeks but 3week u will get used,(i dn't always manage the 75ml but always get 1lt in morning) it forces u to streach/exercise & cleans your system,& now i can run not get tired quickly n period pains disappear, water too is good in blood formation plus good diet.

(Anywy this workd for me i hope it help you and any other who read.

I pray that u wil get a solution to that problem..

Xxx

• Posted

Water therapy

Hi Patricia and all that want try drinking water therapy in the morning/afternoon/evening..i forgot that YOU SHOULD NOT TAKE ICE COLD WATER,fridge water is not good for this therapy.but TAKE ROOM TEMPERATURE WATER,i normally take luke warm water.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Patricia

Doctors can be a real pain sometimes! I am having a real battle with mine over sick notes!

For my weariness i take Vit B12 n find it really helps. I also agree with 3guru that sometimes its good to take a break. Like u i have been taking iron tablets for 3 years but i got fed up post op n stopped. If u eating a good diet n menses r not overly heavy then 4 werks of iron should put u back to normal levels. You could also try liquid iron like Floradix. Ive seen it in health shops

Hope u get some relief.

Xx

• Posted

Yeah vel what a day! Basically I have now just bought the tablets at the chemist. Had a blood test done today so the results will be at the surgery Thurs or Friday afternoon. Then I can get them again. I do still need them as my periods are still really heavy. And was feeling sick tired and light headed. GP just made it all harder than it should have been. Thank you for your advice though x
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

If you feel in need of iron, have you tried Floradix liquid iron?  I've been using it and my levels have really improved. It is abit pricey, but I think it's worth it.

Toni X

• Posted

Hi Toni no I haven't tried that I will bear that in mind though. I have ended up buying iron tablets at chemist until I can get prescription filled.
  • Posted

ok , as long as you,ve done the bloods .

now try boosting your iron intake with the right food.

can you eat liver?

eggs, spinach.

i take B viamin complex twice a week as its expensive.

its good to give more energy so take in morning or you'll be awake all night!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.