Lack of Sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, can anyone suggest what I can purchase over the counter for sleep probs. I read for about half an hour and then fall asleep for about an hour (really deep sleep as I dream) and then wake up. I have tried Valerian but do not work for me. I must say I get through a lot of books every week ha ha!! Don't want to take prescribed medication.

Thanks

Jean

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jean you may not be in the same boat just yet and i hope to god you do not i have insomnia, so there is nothing i have not tried to get sleep, and i have told lots of people different things, some natural and sorry to say if going down the natural way does work you may have to see a doctor, the only thing you have not said is how long this has gone on ,are you on other medication, are you worrying about anything that is keeping you awake, if none of this then do you have a tv in the room that is on , no go on that one, reading is good but it depends on what you are reading lol, any that simulates the brain can actually keep you awake, exercise before sleep is a no no , i can go on and on, but i need to know a little bit more about you if that is ok ,if not the chemist pharmacy is great for getting advice , they were great for me they do both natural or if its more serious send you to the doctor, well jean i hope this helps biggrin
    • Posted

Hi, I am not on any medication and no worries. I have to read when I go to bed or I'd never get any sleep (although only an hour) at all. Recently I didn't have a book to read - hence no sleep at all.

Regards

Jean

• Posted

Hi well i happy that you have no worries and your not on any  other medications, so you try the other things i said the pharmacy, lots of natural ways, i use valerian , helps sometimes not always, buts there is calms, but there is a whole range of natural products in boots, and holland and barratt , and i am sure other people on this forum know more natural stuff, exercise is great, but not before bed, walking in the park , plenty of fresh air,  helps me sleep, and herbal drinks, warm milk, cocoa, , good luck
  • Posted

Do you do any physical activity in the daily routine ?
    • Posted

I find walking difficult due to my hip replacement 2 years ago - limping badly. I am active in other ways - I do handicrafts so my brain is active ha ha!!
  • Posted

Hi Jean, wondering how old you are? My insomnia started when I went through menopause and ten years later I am much better. I like you tried the natural path but I finally gave in and had to take medication. I hated to and still today take a very small amount of clonazepam, might have to for the rest of my life but that is o.k. Not sleeping will eventually cause you more problems than taking a sleeping pill. The trick is to find something that works and take as little as possible. A lot of people can take something for a short amount of time and then wean off slowly and get their sleep pattern back. I have used Zopiclone successfully and was able to stop it no problem. Also Elavil is great for sleep but very hard to stop. My favorite is Clonazepam because for me it works the best and I have never had to increase my dose in the six years I have taken it. Hope you are able to find a solution to your problem, I know how difficult insomnia is. God bless! 
  • Posted

Hi Jean,

i had found this website about natural way to sleep well..https://sleepwell.health.blog/. Hope it can help you..i more prefer natural way...cheerss....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.