Lack of sleep and depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

I cannot sleep at night. I suffer from depression - are the two related?  Neville

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

They are very likely related. But without more information it would hard to say definitively.

Insomnia is often considered a symptom of depression, and vice versa. If you can't sleep properly it can affect your mood and that can lead to depression, and if you are clinically depressed it can affect your sleep patterns.

So one thing I learnt over problems I have over the last couple of years is that your physiology and psychology exist as interdependent entities. For example, what comes first, the thought or the feeling? A classic cause of depression is actually diet. In people who are unable to regulate their blood sugar levels as well as others or as well as they used to, can get spiking blood sugar levels which stimulate the production of insulation which can over shoot, leading to whats called "post prandial hypoglycaemia". It's not true hypoglycaemia, it is relative levels of insulin and glucose in the blood which trick the brain into thinking blood sugar levels are low. This causes the stimulation of adrenaline in order to release glucose from the liver giving the sensation of being "hungry" or "hangry"...that irritability that accompanies being hungry.

But if you are full already those signals can be misinterpreted by the brain - you have hunger signals mixed with "full" signals and this can make you interpret them as feelings of depression. You then dwell on what could be making you depressed and then, hey presto, you're depressed.

So in this case a minor physiological imbalance triggers a cascade which leads to depression which then has further physiological effects.

So your insomnia may have brought on depression, true depression, which leads to further insomnia. Or you may have another physiological source which brought on insomnia and reinforces the feelings, maybe changing hormones. Or you may have some psychological traumatic experience - the death of a loved one, or some life event.

It'll be my strong bet that if you can look far enough up stream you will find the source of what has triggered both. For the time being, this was the good advice I got from doctors to help you sort it out:

- Very light exercise. I do mean light. Graded exercise therapy and stretching. They recommend Tai Chi and Qi Gong as do I - I am a martial artist, so I am familiar with these arts. They are extremely good for mindfulness.

- Mindfulness. I cannot tell you how often this comes up from all medical practitioners dealing with athletes, chronic fatigue, depression. They absolutely swear by it.

- Routine. Try to develop a routine which you stick to religiously...it's part of your therapy. Don't go to bed late, and have a warm shower beforehand. Don't log on to the internet and don't read anything that will stimulate you. You can try Valerian root to help you sleep but not too often so you don't become dependent.

- Diet. Bear what I said about blood sugar levels in mind. The main thing to avoid is sugar and white food like bread potatoes, pasta, rice etc. Replace it with fat and protein, such as nuts, vegetables, eggs etc. Everyones physiology and gut biota is different so how you react to different foods can be profound. Our diet has arisen in the last few thousand years for a physiology that evolved over millions.

- A lot of people swear by Cognitive Behaviour Therapy - CBT. You'll need professional help with that.

- Think of yourself as having a minor illness that needs treatment. If you have a cold you have tissues, throat lozenges, and paracetamol or whatever....It's not that dramatic but you have to look after yourself until it passes.

Good luck chap. Hope you sort yourself out.

• Posted

Yes they are related, in fact if you can find something to help you sleep, you will start feeling better. I have suffered from depression before, I am o.k today, but went through hell with depression and anxiety about eight years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.