Lack of sleep and feel like I'm going crazy!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can offer me some advice. I'm absolutely at my wits ends with this...

It was my stag do recently and unfortunately that meant a fair bit of booze, a complete lack of sleep and too much sunshine.

We were away for just a few nights, returned on Tuesday afternoon. However, the first night home I felt exhausted as to be expected but when I went to bed my mind was racing... I am an anxious person anyway so I put this down to too much booze, noise, etc over the past few days and just tried to cope with the problem... Every time my body put me to sleep and I could feel myself sinking into my pillow... My brain woke me up panicking, almost as if something awful was in the room... I'd felt this kind of thing but usually it fades after a few hours - this time it didn't. I spent all night seeing things, jolting my body, heart racing right through until morning...

I was extremely tired yesterday and spent the day worrying about how awful my lack of sleep was making me feel. I tried everything in my power to ensure last night's sleep might have gotten me back on track... But the same happened again, only this time even worse sad

Every time I feel that sinking sensation, as if drifting off, I begin to panic, my heart races and I can hear noises in my head. I've become so scared about my lack of sleep and extreme need for it that I just can't do it now.

I'm petrified of going to bed tonight because I fear the feeling when my heart has palpitations and I'm sweating and shaking. I haven't slept properly now for days and my body is unwilling to sleep to allow me the recovery I need. I can't even drive my car or go for a run because I feel so dizzy and disorientated by the tiredness.

I've become an emotional mess. I can barely watch TV without crying I'm so scared and exhausted.

Can anybody offer me any ideas as to what's going on or anything I can do to help? Or even just relate to the feelings?

Joe

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like it's just a combination of your body trying to keep up yet being way too tired. My anxiety will get worse if i begin to go too long without sleep. Have u seen a doctor about the noises in your head though? He may be able to prescribe something to help you sleep. I don't like taking meds since they're addictive, but I take over the counter sleep aids when i need them. Maybe those would help?
  • Posted

I have found guided meditations (you can listen on youtube) for relaxation very helpful in calming me down when trying to get to sleep.

I totally understand your comments about noises in your head.  at my worst, anxiety has my thoughts racing out of control - I can't seem to turn them off, ever!

I also listen to soothing sounds of nature, rainfall, waves etc.. to help calm my brain.

I hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Do you have a threrapist or a counsellor or someone who can help?
  • Posted

It could be that you're too exhausted. Also, your body got used to being up & moving, and drinking.
  • Posted

Hi,

Stay strong!

My anxiety does this to me aswell but only when I'm extremely over tired it's just your body's way of saying it needs rest! Just try and ignore it and keep your eyes closed!

• Posted

did you take just alcohol or was there something else taken which may cause these symptoms.

rich

• Posted

Hi Joe

I think you may just be overtired

give it a few days and if you are still worried go and get checked out

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

I can definitely relate to the heart palpitations and not sleeping well. My palpitations get so bad I have to pace the floor. My Paxil stopped working July 5, 2015 and I've not been th same since.
  • Posted

Hi. I think your burning out just now. You may not realise but a wedding is Although exciting and what you want it's also very stressful and without even realising it the stress is building. Mixed with alcohol not Muxh sleep and worry why your not sleeping all adds up. It happened to me out of the blue a day after my wedding.I hadn't even realised I was stressed but I was so take this as a little pointer your stressed and you need to chill no matter what you have to do. May be a quiet night away where you do nothing !Hope wedding goes well. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.