Lack of sleep because of Paroxetine (Paxil), any suggestions ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all,

I have been taking Paxil since 31-May-2017.Its been about 9 days and I take it in the night.

For the first 4-5 days, I was taking 12.5 mg and then the doctor increased it to 25 mg.

Ever since I have been taking it, I have not been getting any satisfactory sleep.

I have tried taking it with Etilaam, no luck.

Even with Mirtazapine 3.75 mg, no sleep, I keep waking up in the night.

Should I reduce the dosage ? Should I take clonazepam instead of Mirtzapine ?

Please help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My experience with paxil is......don't take it in the evening. Take it in the morning. Paxil has stimulating properties so is no wonder it would intertere with sleep. Sometimes i had experienced restless leg syndrom with paxil at 10 mg/day. Even if I had taken  it 12 hours before sleep.  

• Posted

Are you taking paxil for depression ?  I used to take it but quit 5 years ago because so many adverse side effects........I would  advise not taking it at all  really. The negative effects outweigh any percieved positive effects........ just my suggestion and experience on that.
  • Posted

It is a common side effect of paroxetine. In some cases it can last even up to 2-3 months and there is really nothing you can do about it. Taking clonazepam to cure SSRI-induced insomia sounds like a terrible idea - zopiclone/zolpidem would be a far better choice.
    • Posted

Hi Johnkov, the side effects of Paxil can last 2-3 months? I've been taking it for 2 months to help wean off of Ativan and for anxiety. I feel dizzy and lightheaded in the mornings. Any advice?

Thanks,

Groove

• Posted

I just started 20mg PAXIL ON June 8. So far I've noticed excessive yawning, some sleep troubles and bowel changes. I've red it takes time to get through the first few weeks. I hope not long. And I've read withdrawal is awful.

• Posted

This is an older thread, but if you stumble across it later like I did maybe this will be helpful. while I took a 20mg dose at night with precautions about sleep disturbance I still woke up every day at 5am. So not my usual, not horrible, but definitely losing 3 precious hours. Additionally I was basically in a manic state after week 3 of taking it, so maybe if youre having trouble sleeping also look out for those symptoms. Mine had me off the wall unable to do precarious tasks and lacking a lot of critical thinking skills (i noticed them vanish at work since Im in stem). Ive had similar reactions to other ssri's so i knew what to look for.

Summary: continues for more than a week and disrupts your life, probably not the drug for you.

• Posted

hey i am on day 5 and same no sleep on 12.5 cr

has it passed for you now ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.