Lacrilube as back up medication for blepharitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

A big HI to all sufferers of the dreaded bleph out there!  Until recently I was using a daily anti histamine and a backing that up with blephagel to ease my symptoms.  The anti histamine took off about 65% of the symptoms and the blephagel, which I find amazingly soothing and ideal for flare ups, which I still get sometimes, takes off about a further 20% if used daily, usually several generous applications.

However I went to see my optician the other week for my regular check up and he seemed to know a bit about bleph and we got chatting and he recommended I use lacrilube, which is an ointment, on top, at night as it makes your eyes blurry, naturally.

Well I spoke to my GP and got him to prescribe it and it arrived today so I have used some for the first time tonight.  It appears to work differently to the blephagel, which I still need to use, in that it sinks deep into the layers of the eye lids thus affected and, oh, the optician said to use it every night regardless of whether you are suffering any symptoms whatsoever and that way over time it should do its job.

So I thought I'd share with you in case you wanted to try it, in conjunction with whatever else you are using, and perhaps wanted some medical back up opinion as was given to me, hope this helps, Fiona

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Theze backup medications are not available inU.S. where I live and have AZASITE in my fridge ready to uze for flare ups. But I want to add the use of 6000 daily mgs of Omega3 fish oil caps to bleph sufferers out there who, like me, tried thing after thing with little success. After six months of hell I took the advice I found here at Patient to take 6000 mg daily of Omega3 and it gave me my eyes back. Add one 10mg tablet of Ceterizine hydrochloride (the generic for an a thistimine Zyrtec) and keep to a rigorous eyelid hygiene routine, and I am considering myself cured.

All from advice I got on this great site.

So try it all fellow bleph sufferers. You nust never know which treatment will work for you.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Posted

I am glad that like me you have found treatments which work for you. Personally I could not take fish oils as I am physically sick st the slightest whiff of them. However I agree about the cetrazine and couldn't do without it, as with my blephagel and I think the lacrilube will work well too, early days yet. Best wishes.

• Posted

I hope that youe treatment routine leads to the maximum relief. Its good that your bleph is not in part due to a hormone imbalance, which is why I take the fis oil. I admit it repeats on me sometitimes, but its a small price to pay after the misery I've withstood for the last six months.

And now I am considering doing without the antihiztimine as I am experiencing side effects I don't like. Dry mouth, drowsiness, sleep interruptions, and I am asthmatic, have been for half my life. However, its good to know if the itchy eyes or watery eyes return I can go back to taking them maybe every other day, if need be.

Good luck to all of us struggling with this condition, and thank goodness for all the good people who take the time to care and share on this site.

Happy Christmas.

• Posted

Thank you, I am happy with my routine, you say a small price to pay over the fish oils but unfortunately they burst every time in my throat and subsequently it makes me vomit every time so obviously one cannot put up with anything thst unpleasant and flaxseed oil the vegetarian option had exactly the same effect. Also particlary dangerous for me having as I do a hernia.
    • Posted

UPDATE,  I have been using the lacrilube to back up my blephagel and cetrazine, and its proven to be remarkably effective, even more so than my trustee blephagel and I never thought id be in a position to say that, so that is really good news for me and also fellow sufferers, I would imagine.
    • Posted

Dear Agnes,

Thank you , I will try both: antihis and Omega 3. I've had bleph for anout 6 months and just good hygeine and erythromicin ointment don't really help.

I will try your remedies.

many thanks and may the coming year bring all of us very good health.

Rita

• Posted

Thanks for the tip, Fiona. When my symptoms improvrf after adding ceterizine and Omega3 caps I got cocky and only made sure to adhere to my cleansing routine without using any antibacterial gel. Well after a mo th ive had a breakout and now have to go through the misery of getti g a handle on it again during the hidays. I will look for info on lacrilube and if its available in the U.S. will ask my optbo to perscribe it. Hopefully it costs considerably less tha the Azasite I use now two weeks on, on week off, to ensure it retains its effectiveness. It had been over three weeks off it when the breakout occurred. I should have been more digent.

Happy Holidays.

• Posted

Hi Fiona

What us the antihistamine you use. Is it eye drops?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.