lacrimal oculoplastics

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been referred to a consultant for what my GP considers to be the correct diagnosis.  I have been treated for conjunctivitis since January 2017.  That has cleared.  However, the upper tear duct is enlarged and from time to time the eye will water, but not significantly.  I have so many different medications that th eye is irritated and bloodshot.  I have been advised to used hot compresses, cold compresses, drops for dy eyes and so on.  That eye has always been sensitive and first thing in the morning feels sore and "gritty."  It clears after about theirty minutes.

I have done some reserch into the condition, and they talk about surgery or removing the eye....!  Seems a little extreme for a tear duct/lacrimal sac problem.

Has anyone on the Forum had experience of this or any knowledge.  I have been told that I can expect to wait 4 1/2 months to see a consultant! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

conjuctivitis or gritty eyes dont require a surgery ... 

And conjuctivitis also needs no treatment or just eye drops. ... it will be normal in 2-4 weeks 

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply, but I think that I stated that the cojunctivitis was now clear.  I have located the source of the "add on" problem, which is not conjunctivitis, and have been treating it with warm compresses and gentle massage using a cotton bud (Q Tip) that has been run under warm water, and have started to see the results.  The oil ducts are now behaving and the conjunctivitis like symptoms have pretty much disappeared.  So, It seems that I may have had conjunctivitis, and that is what I was being treated for, but I now believe that it was blepharitis.

?The referring GP's referral was based on his belief that the problem was with the lacrimal gland, that is located in the eye orbit, toward the outer edge and under the brow bone.  This produces tears.  My research shows that this is not the case, as there is no discomfort upon palpatation.  Had it been this condition, there would be discomfort when palpating the lacrimal gland, and there is no discomfort in that part of the eye. 

?The upper eyelids have approximately 50 oil ducts and the lower, 25.  Should they become blocked for some reason, they will create problems with tear production, etc. which keep the eye moist.  One needs to be very careful with eyelids. 

?I was not suggesting that conjunctivitis would need either surgery ar the consultation of an opthamologist's attention for such a mild condition.

• Posted

I agree with rocky 100%, I do not know where do you live, my advice to you is to get second and third openion with other doctors before you do anything and do not wait 4 1/2 months this is too long. search around for a good doctor call there organization and ask for recommendation for a good doctor because now a day some of them are usless they are not concern about there patients at all. good luck and let me know if you live in U.S.A. chigago area let me know I can recommand a good doctor for you. Good luck.
    • Posted

Please see my reply to Rocky100%.  I have complete confidence in my own GP, but unfortunately, she was on leave when the referral to an opthaoo;igist was mad by another GP.  I had said that the options offered were a 4 1/2 month wait for an RUH or approximately 30days at a private clinic.  I opted for the latter.  However, having conducted further research into eye problems, I took control of the situation myself, spoke with My own doctor this afternoon when she called, described the treatment that I had undertaken, and she agrees that I am doing the right thing, as the results are positive.  We agreed that I sould keep the scheduled appointment in my diary as a safety net, should the situation with the affected eye, not settle, quite as we hope.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.