Lactic acid 'rushes' in muscles

Posted , 11 users are following.

I suffer from what feels like floods of lactic acid in my legs, arms, and now my pelvis whenever I walk more than a few steps and immediately I start trying to walk up any kind of incline or hill. Does anyone else have experience of this? My doctor, generally good, just scratches his head and says he doesn't know why I'm getting it,or how to help with it. I am very disabled by it, and I have to stop every few steps as it makes me feel very sore and nauseous. Any tips for this? Much appreciated.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

These are mine: I. Lactic acid “burning" sensation (muscles are easily exhausted) in EVERY muscle in the body with simple tasks (brushing hair, talking/singing for a long time, swallowing, walking up the stairs). Progressive.

II. Persistent brain fog/cognitive decline. (head pressure when thinking hard for more than 30 min)  

III. Periods of various symptoms like, come & go for brief period of time (lower left kidney flank back pain, burning sensation peeing, constipation, occipital neuralgia, burning sensation in neck).

IV. Chronic Prostatitis (Lower back ache, urine incontinence, rectal pain, lower right back flank sharp pain/ache; possible triggered by certain foods)

V. Skin is extremely sensitive (easily ticklish everywhere)

VI. Crepitus (joints crack, gravel, grind). Ex: bicep curl w/o weights, sitting down and leaning. Progressive

VII. Sternum tightness (inhale, exhale).

VIII. Hands and feet can experience pins/needles or coldness if a certain position is held for a short amount of time.

*14 yrs old: Frequent urinary symptoms, Frequent constipation, 2 week flu, eye twitch began.

15-17 yrs old: Progressive muscle exhaustion, brain fog. I did play sports, but I noticed I wasn't feeling "normal". I tired out easily.

I'm a male in my early 20s and have dealth with these symptoms (gradually some new symptoms get added) for the past 7 years of my life. Doctors don't know what's wrong with me except to diagnose me with CFS. 

I also had a chronic H Pylori infection, that's now gone. Even though my activity levels are reduced 50 percent, I can still walk around and go to work full time, but these symptoms, especially the muscle fatigue is bothering me so much. I was an active boy before 15 years old, doing so many things.

• Posted

I cant give you tips but im the same had it for 5 years now i cant do anything without hurting its debilitating
  • Posted

Hi i too have suffered this for 5 or more years,been to the gp so many times and had countless blood tests it is debilitating and getting worse and im at my wits end so i have sympathy with u i am so tired of it x
    • Posted

I've had ME/CFS for over 20 years and have struggled a lot of the time with the muscle exhaustion and pain caused by build up of lactic acid. I've recently bought a foam roller and have been trying it on my legs after walking and doing my gentle yoga stretches and feel that the muscles are less sore and recovering more quickly after physical activity. I'm also increasing magnesium in my diet and think it is helping.  One source of this I've been using is raw cacao powder which has magnesium, potassium and iron in it. 

?Don't give up hope - keep trying different things and you might find something that helps!

• Posted

Perhaps you have compartment syndrome?

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thanks for your post! I have a type of hot, acidic-feeling rushes in my back and chest. Sometimes it is just ever-present, not a rush. I have approached it as "fatigue" because rest is the only cure, "reflux" because sometimes it is, and "anxiety" because if I get startled it feels like a water balloon of acid pops and goes all over my insides. Also, If I'm having the sensation at the same time as being upset about something, it seems as if the emotion is causing the sensation. But nothing I do or think or say about the emotion will make the sensation go away so I think it is a false attribution.

Tonight I was over- working myself and getting both sleep deprived and dehydrated as well as my back muscles getting sore. The burning came on real suddenly. That got me to wondering more about the physiological process going on. I have other symptoms of dehydration so as much as I just want to sleep, I'm going to try to lay here and sip water.

I just thought my experience might be of interest to someone.

• Posted

Hi Melissa!

I'm one of these sufferers of this odd set of symptoms too.  I also have very  similar sensations and thoughts like yours about what the cause could be. Right now I am in a phase where just raising my arm send the rush of pain, and stairs are awful. I'm taking giant loads of laundry up at a time to limit the number of times I have to do it.  But, your comment about the anxiety and the startle effect hit home with me as well.   I've told doctors that when I experience being startled by something or surprised, where other people feel adrenaline, I feel a rush of pinprick pain that rushes through my body. What I am feeling  now is just any muscle I move sends this rush of lactic acid or something  through my body. It can be anything as simple as picking up my cell phone. Previously, I had had sensations like this, but very rarely. I did experience it when I would take a sip of wine, oddly enough. I don't drink much alcohol at all . But lately, I had a few glasses of wine on successive days for different occasions, and each time it set off this lactic acid through my body and I had to sit down for the rest the night. Even sitting up makes my torso hurt because I'm using the muscles in my stomach and back. So I've been using a back brace just so I can sit up without using my stomach muscles.  Not meaning to complain - just nice to see people who have this too so I don't feel so much like a lazy loser!!  I will try the CoQ10 and Epsom salts - this is the longest bout I've ever had.

• Posted

Hi Elliebee,

I've been experiencing that 'lactic rush' on and off but lately it's really bad.  This morning had to sit in the stairs halfway.  Legs just feel heavy and like they're seizing - sometimes they ache as if I just ran a marathon....

I have other symptoms, but wondering if you did try the Q10 and if so did it help????

Thanks,

• Posted

I had these same rushes with burning also in my lungs until I went sugar free, grain free, and treated my candida problem. Candida had traveled to my lungs and was interfering with my body's ability to get enough oxygen, hence the lactic acid problem. I took the intensive protocal of Candidastat from Amazon for several months. Now I take the lower dose nonstop. Anytime I have wheat, corn, sugar, or alcohol, the lactic acid rushes come back same day.

I also used castor oil capsules to kill the candida once a week. That worked faster, and the capsules were easier to swallow than the oil (yuck). But I did have to take 10-20 capsules at one time.

• Posted

I didn't explain that I also get the startle rush, the adrenaline rush with pin pricks, and the lactic acid rushes in legs, arms, etc. All of it was helped by going sugar free, grain free, and alcohol free, as well as taking something to kill candida. Candida is an evil beast and hard to kill. I was told you have to treat it one month for every year you've been ill, assuming you dont do something to feed it and bring it back to life (e.g. birthday cake or anniversary wine). Then you start over. That means I have 25 months of treatment ahead of me, but I'm glad to already be feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.