Lactose Intolerance.......

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had tummy pains and a bloated feeling for many years , now i have been diagnosed with lactose intolerance . Strange nobody picked up on it for so long. My question is , can the lactose that is used as a filler in many tablets etc, be enough to create a problem for a person such as myself with lactose intolerance or, is it all just in my head, if you know what i mean.....................

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, every little counts and adding it all up can cause the symptoms. Some people only realise it is a problem when they have cereal for breakfast, with milky coffee and then collect a coffee on the way to work! If you cut the amount of dairy products with lactose,, it makes you more sensitive later. So when you get medication from the GP - make sure he writes lactose-free on them. It will annoy him and the pharmacist probably and they will try to talk you out of it! Stand your ground!

• Posted

Thanks Eileen..... I feel as though some days i can tolerate a little lactose , others that is not the case. I think i might insist on lactose free medication in future, hang the expense.

I do have my Lactofree tabs with me if i feel like breaking out occasionally ................They seem to

do the trick....................

• Posted

I'm told the secret is in the dose - as I said in the first reply - if you spread it out, for most people it is OK unless they have the genetic version where they tolerate no lactose at all. Many guidelines tell people not to eliminate lactose altogether but keep eating a small amount. Once you stop altogether the intolerance gets worse if you do accidentally eat some.

And tell me about reading labels and finding things you'd never dream of! I should avoid wheat to avoid eczema and itching - that is all and sometimes the itch is worth it - but wheat gets everywhere!!!!

• Posted

Apparently 75% of the world is lactose intolerant. When we were pre stone age we did not have lactose apart from breast milk but then people went north from Africa and started drinking milk, but still most of the world has not got used to drinking milk yet.

• Posted

If that is the case we should nearly have the ruling vote. !!!!!!!!!!! ??????

• Posted

You will have to set the No to Lactose group!

• Posted

Hi Billy,

I'm milk intolerant and ask for milk free meds. certain meds aren't available lactose free so ask for suitable alternative. So many have this cheap filler in and it makes no sense to me. I ask for liquid form of some stuff (which they have for children) as surprisingly don't have milk in.

I do get a reaction even with small amounts of milk sooo, yep, I would say even small amounts could affect you too but, ask to speak to dietitian.

Beverley

• Posted

Thanks Bev..............Its a pain in the behind, isnt it. You just dont realise how many products

have lactose in them till you start reading the contents list, (providing it is correct that is).

But those little Lactofree tabs are worth while to carry in your pocket. ......................

• Posted

Hi Billy,

I know! in so many things you wouldn't even think of! crisps for instance.

Definitely ask for lactose free meds.

Beverley

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.