Lactose intolerance

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I have Coeliac disease and now it looks like I have a Lactose intolerance. Have now started searching products and it seems soy/soya has a certain amount of lactose in it? Is this true and is soya lecithin something I may have to avoid? Help...!!!!

I hope someone can help?

Thanks

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

lactose is a milk sugar and not in beans such as soya? I am milk intolerant, more the protein than the lactose I believe and have drank soya milk for 20 years without issue.

Hope that helps,

Beverley

• Posted

This is a list from NHS england ofLactose-free foods and drinks:

There are a number of alternative foods and drinks available in supermarkets to replace the milk and dairy products you need to avoid.

Food and drinks that do not usually contain lactose include:

soya yoghurts and cheeses

coconut-based yoghurts and cheeses

almond milk, yoghurts and cheeses

rice milk

oat milk

hazelnut milk

foods with the "dairy-free" or "suitable for vegans" signs

carob bars

Beverley

• Posted

You must have access to a dietician if you are coeliac?? They are the source of reliable info about diet for any such intolerances.

But when I searched I found articles about also having problems with soy - that doesn't mean it has lactose, it means there is a parallel problem for some people.

• Posted

I don't see the dietician any more. just nervous as there is a lot of soy, soya, soya lecithin in my gluten free products..!!! it's all getting very confusing. thank you so much for your advice.

• Posted

Soy itself shouldn't be a problem - but products that aren't aimed at people requiring lactose-free food won't guarantee it. However, unless you have a rare genetic condition, most people can tolerate the tiny amounts of lactose you find in most products. It is larger amounts at a time that cause problems. Like cereal with milk and a milky coffee at the same time or soon after. In fact, it is recommended that you don't exclude it altogether.

• Posted

As I Said above Michelle,

Soy products don't have lactose. Soy lecithin doesn't contain lactose. I also have wheat free products, which are mostly gluten free and definitely milk free.

Beverley

• Posted

Hi Beverley

Thank you so much for your help. So relieved about your advice.

Michelle x

• Posted

I believe that 75% of the world population is lactose intolerant.

• Posted

My sister also has lactose intolerance but she's been drinking soya for years now and soya it has many health benefits. What made you think that you are lactose intolerance do you experience GI upset?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.