Lactulose side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

My Dad is 73 and has a fatty liver that's turned in to cirrhosis.  He is currently doing fine, but the medicine that he takes (lactulose) to live, keeps him feeling sick at his stomach all day.  Any suggestions on how to take it?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi back again, you learn something new every day, this is used to remove ammonia from the system, OK will see what I can find out
  • Posted

i tried lactulose for a month or so following a TIPS procedure.  Never figured it out, just never tolerated it welol at all despite changing doses, scheduling, etc.

I'm on Xifaxan now, world of difference.  No encephalopathy and no more digestive distress.

Might be worth asking the Dr. about...

• Posted

Thanks I was just going to suggest a couple of alternatives and you kindly did it for me, glad you have found a good replacement and feeling a bit better
  • Posted

I drink it with 1/4 a glass of cold water.  While I drink it slowly I drink water and eat a peppermint with it.  I also, can see that the Lactulose helps.  To answer another post.  I read that Lactulose takes the ammonia from the blood, which our liver cannot filter.
    • Posted

Thx for the info about the peppermints, he tried it and it definitely helped!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.